Trying to rule out unauthorized access to my OMV-server

• Hi

Beginning yesterday I wasn't able to login to the WebGUI with admin or my ordinary user. I don't get any error message that the login/password is wrong, just return to the login screen. When I tried to login via ssh as root I get a password error and the same with admin and ordinary user (I can login via SCP as root which I thought was strange and made a posting about yesterday - Root login works in scp but not ssh. Strange?). I have now gotten the logs through SCP.

In the auth.log I only find one authorized login. This is roughly at the time I think I made my last successful login (the reason I'm not 100% is that it's from 127.0.0.1 but as I'm behind reverse proxy and usually gets to OMV through a password protected app dashboard, I feel 99% it's me). There was alot of unsuccessful tries in auth.log though.

Is there any other log than auth.log I should trawl through to be sure that no unauthorized access was made?

I would be grateful for any ideas how to remedy my not-being-able-to-login-to-WebGUI-or-ssh-with-any-user-problem as described in my post from yesterday (see link above) (in short - have backup bu no physical access to server, have root access through SCP).

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hook up a monitor and keyboard. If your root password doesn't work with a console connection, you're rebuilding. (Or, at least, searching for root password recovery operations.)

If you can get in, with a console connection, run omv-firstaid . In the menu, you can reset the GUI password.

Whatever your outcome is:

Since you're using a reverse proxy and exposing your server to the Net, you might want to consider disabling root access VIA SSH. Use sudo or su - root if you need to do something as the root user on the command line.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!