Best settings for HDDs?

• Hi everyone,

I have 3 HDDs for my RAIDZ1 and 1HDD for backup. I was wondering what should I select as settings for them.

I saw that I can choose many options for this 3 things:

- Advance power management

- Automatic acustic management

- Spind down

Should I leave all them disabled?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• I say it depends on what you are going to use them for.

For instance - my VM's live on one mirror that i leave it all turned off as they will be in use constantly.

My DVR storage lives on a mirror with APM set to Intermediate, as they get recorded to multiple times a day and it's annoying hitting play and having to wait for the disks to spin up.

My bulk storage mirror I set to minimum power with spindown, and 5 minutes spindown as the data is rarely accessed.

What you don't want to do is to set aggressive power management policies on disks that are accessed all the time. You don't want to have the things spinning up and down constantly and having to wait for them to spin up every time you want to access a file.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What you don't want to do is to set aggressive power management policies

Agree. I would use 127 (and nothing below) if you want to have spin down.

Keep an eye on your SMART values. I had issues with "load_cycle_count" which was increasing like hell. Specification limit would have been exceeded within a year.

Finally I disabeled all settings and use now hd-idle to spin down the drives instead. It seems to depend on the drive and the firmware.

• What is the difference to use hd-idle instead of usual Disk settings in OMV5?

I have tried Spindown time = 60, but sometimes when I want to open explorer on my PC I will get delay in 5 seconds because NAS HDD`s have mapped as network storages, so I have turned of Spin down at all and use APM=1 and AAM = minimum performance.

I have 2 WD red 3TB and 6TB, no raid.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV uses hdparm to actually change settings on the hdds.

However hdparm is not compatible with all hdds. Nor with all USB/SATA bridges. So it is possible that everything works fine. Or nothing seems to change. Or your NAS stop working altogether.

With HC2 and Ironwolf HDDs it was the latter, for me. So I don't change anything.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have turned of Spin down at all and use APM=1 and AAM = minimum performance.

So you still have spin down enabled. Keep an eye on SMART values. APM=1 is aggressive and puts mechanical stress on your drive (depending on the firmware of the drive). I would use APM=127 if you want to have spin down.

• So you still have spin down enabled. Keep an eye on SMART values. APM=1 is aggressive and puts mechanical stress on your drive (depending on the firmware of the drive). I would use APM=127 if you want to have spin down.

But if I decided to leave HDD`s without spindown I can use APM=1?

• Offizieller Beitrag

APM=1 is minimum power consumption with spin down.

APM=0 is disabled

APM=128 is minimum power consumption without spin down

APM=129-253 is intermediate power management levels without standby

APM=254 is maximum performance and power consumption

• Offizieller Beitrag

What are the default settings? Before you change anything, perhaps you should find that out?

Perhaps the best settings are the settings made by the manufacturer? Just a hunch...

I used to feel a desire/need to try every setting in OMV and other operating systems / computers. Tweak and try things out. Often even without testing performance before and after. So I couldn't detect if what I did had any positive effect. Or even if it had a negative effect. Or no effect at all.

Now I typically change as little as possible. It has helped the stability of OMV a lot! I keep the defaults as far as possible, and if I feel the urge to tweak I carefully test before and after and make sure I can restore the default settings easily. Typically by cloning the rootfs.

I have changed the spindown timeout for my HC2s. But that was changed while flashing the firmware. It is now one hour, I believe. Other than that, everything is default as far as possible.

• Until you know exactly what you want/need, and why, how about leaving the defaults as they are?

Unless you know what you are doing you are as likely to do harm as you are to do good.

I need quiet system without delay when I need to open share folder and get some files. Would be great if HDD will be working years)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!