First Server - Can't access through Windows Explorer

• Hello guys and gals,

I wanted to setup a Server at home for my Family mostly to Backup stuff (Pics, VIdeos, etc.) and later on configure it so that my Sis and I could use it like DropBox.

I followed the Guide of CrashTest and did everything like he showed to get used to it and learn first things.

The e-mail notifications didn't work for me but thats no biggie.
    As of now I have this issue: When I try to access the share through the explorer (file) it asks for crediticentials and no combination works (I tried creating users in omv too) or it doesnt. In this case it loads for a few seconds and gives me an error.

What I have done:

- I wiped my HDDs
    - created a file system of that HDD (as a whole) and mounted it

- created a shared folder named pictures

- after that I switched to smb, activated it, left WORKGROUP as it is said that thats windows default (What does that even do?)
    - saved and went to shares where I chose my pictures datasystem, allowd guests and checked advanced attributes and DOS attributes.

created users and deleted them, added windows creditentials and deleted them since nothing worked. Now it asks for creditentials when I click on it.

With CMD I ping it by its name, IP, name.local and it worked. ping.local didnt.

I hope you can help me with all this Infos, if you need more let me know so I can add them.

Kind regards,

CheesyGekko

• What exactly is not working ?

You have to add a user with password and when connecting to the share from windows you have to enter username and password.

Did you activate smb ? Did you add a smb share ? That was my fault at the beginning.

Stay healthy Bernd

• What exactly is not working ?

You have to add a user with password and when connecting to the share from windows you have to enter username and password.

Did you activate smb ? Did you add a smb share ? That was my fault at the beginning.

Stay healthy Bernd

If I click on the share with the windows file explorer it asks for a log in.

I created a smb share, since then I can see it in the file explorer.

I created users, one with the same login as my windows PC user , one made completely new and no matter what I try to doesn't work. It says that my log in is wrong.

Let's say I created a user in omv named test and the Pw is 12345. If I click on the share and enter those infos it says wrong. If I add windows credentials with the manager for MyNAS with test and 12345 it still says wrong log in.

Stay healthy too :)

• You have spaces or special characters in the credentials ?

right now i try to just use the combination of test and test123.

I hadnt done that before and tried it now. Created user test, added to groups of ssh, root and sambashare.
    went to privileges and checked read and write for this user. It also said there that something in services is using it for access management Oo
    After that I tried it -> no success.
    So I added the same user with the creditentialsmanager, same.

right now I tried it over Wifi: Could that be an issue? As I want to be able to use my Wifi I hope its not :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

After too many tries sometime a reboot of Windows helps.

right now I tried it over Wifi: Could that be an issue? As I want to be able to use my Wifi I hope its not :D

No, that should be no issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

went to shares where I chose my pictures datasystem, allowd guests and checked advanced attributes and DOS attributes.

You have a user with r/w privileges on that folder. Try to choose "No" instead of "Guest Allowed".

Seems to be the remaining difference compared to my setup.

• You have a user with r/w privileges on that folder. Try to choose "No" instead of "Guest Allowed".

Seems to be the remaining difference compared to my setup.

it didnt work either.

I dont get why its asking anyways when I have guests allowed? It confuses me and I have no clue what went wrong, I followed the guide step by step....

Could it have to do with the router or is it something that has to do with the users? oO

EDIT: I tried guests only since then there is no prompt for log in. Now I get an cant access error ....

EDIT2: The windows analyzer says the PC is okay but the server isnt responding if that helps and can be trusted...

• Hello,

I found the issue and wanna share it if anyone else has similar issues: The DNS server of my Laptop was different than on the router (IPv6 even though I deactiveted it on the server) and that cause the trouble. Now it works as it is supposed to.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The DNS server of my Laptop was different than on the router (IPv6 even though I deactiveted it on the server) and that cause the trouble

Any idea why a different DNS server might cause a problem with SMB?

• Any idea why a different DNS server might cause a problem with SMB?

I don't have a clue. But if I tried to ping my server with its name it showed an ipv6 ip even though I didnt configure one. Also it was different than the one my Router assigned to the NAS.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!