OMV Breaks my network - Wifi static configuration - after installation.

• Using Raspberry PI 3 B .

I have configured Debian Lite image. (Buster LITE) and configured static WIFI( only that network ) , all working fine ( I have the same setting for others RPI ) .

* Debian buster lite ( network working )

* Debian apt upgrade ( network working )

* Reboot

* booted up ( network working )

* installed OMV in (this is RPI3 B) with

wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Script/raw/master/install | sudo bash

installed successfully ( net working )

* performed reboot

* After this reboot the network card config is automatically removed (file dhcpcd.conf) and the wifi card is no longer connecting even if the config files are restored.

Is there anything that could be breaking the network config after installing OVM ?

Thanks !

• Is there anything that could be breaking the network config after installing OVM

Yep. The last thing the install script does is configure wired networking and systemd-resolved to work in the OMV way. You would be better off to configure wireless after the install script runs.

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the follow up,

Restoring exactly the same config files as before script installation Raspberry (3 B) is not able to connect to wireless any more. I have to reinstall Debian Buster Lite from scratch and Im able to connect to wifi again.

Any advice how to configure wireless after script runs ?

Thanks for your time

• Any advice how to configure wireless after script runs ?

From the web interface.

I have to reinstall Debian Buster Lite from scratch and Im able to connect to wifi again.

Why do you have to reinstall? Plugin a keyboard and monitor and you should be able to fix it.

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0

• It doesn't fix the problem. I went through the same situation. I went into raspi-config, checked Network Options, Localisation Options. If the installation disables wifi by design, that is an option that should be left to the user and it should show this in the administrative interface. I spent hours trying to troubleshoot my Raspberry Pi's inability to find it's wlan0 interface and connect to wifi.

• If the installation disables wifi by design, that is an option that should be left to the user and it should show this in the administrative interface. I spent hours trying to troubleshoot my Raspberry Pi's inability to find it's wlan0 interface and connect to wifi.

The install script does NOT disable wifi. It actually runs rfkill unblock all to enable wifi that is disable by default on the raspbian images. If you go against what I recommend of running the install script before doing any configuration, then it won't move the wifi to the systemd configuration unless you follow the Raspberry Pi guide to setup wifi (https://www.raspberrypi.org/do…tion/wireless/headless.md). The install script can't and won't try to support the many, many ways to setup wifi.

• https://www.raspberrypi.com/do…puters/configuration.html

Under the heading:

Setting up a Bridged Wireless Access Point

The bridged AP that you create will stop working when you install latest version of OMV. So if the requirement to have functional networking is to follow Raspberry Pi instruction and then OMV is supposed to honor this, in this case it does not work. The wifi access point is broadcast but one cannot connect to it.

Per this site:

https://raspberrypi.stackexcha…d-conf-missing-on-rasbian

Per this suggestion:1

The /etc/dhcpcd.conf file is a part of dhcpcd5 package, to solve your issue, you can install it:

sudo apt install dhcpcd5

/etc/dhcpcd.conf

This does not fix the problem. I want 2 things only on my headless Raspberry Pi 4B 4Gb installation, the OMV featur and also the Wireless AP that was working before the OVM install. I will take any way that will make it work, and if the way suggested is supported or not. I am running off solar and battery power, don't have grid power and I would like to utilize both functions on this single Raspberry Pi without having to add an additional router just because OMV does not like the AP BRIDGE feature that is supported in Raspberry PI documentation. If you can help me with this, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

• I am really making an honest effort here and I would appreciate if anyone could lend some insight. OMV is now simple enough for people like me to install and benefit from but when installing it makes other things stop working (e.g. a previously working AP bridge on a virgin headless system) then I don't know how to recover.

I have at least about 80 hours invested in this. I started over a year a go trying to add the wireless AP bridge to a working OMV system and it never would work. The nice people over at Raspberry PI support suggested I start from a fresh system and get the AP working first and then install OMV, which was my plan back then. This week I started with a fresh Pi and blank SD and as soon as I installed OMV, it "ate" the bridged AP feature.

If someone could just let me know if that what I want to do is possible or impossible, if it is impossible, then I would not spend any more time on it and just buy an additional router to do the job, which because of running off grid, I want to conserve power but if I must add another device, I must. This is a super low volume operation so the load I do not believe would be an issue.

Now some here have said and I don't know who is the developer here and if he/she is commenting but the message that OMV takes over the network sounds ominous. How can anything take over the network and yet not still leave a loop hole to attach a wireless AP to the device?

I spent the entire day yesterday trying to add the interface back using this guide but I never could make the wireless SSID start transmitting again. I also had re-installed hoatapd again, which I don't know if this hosed anything or not.

This is the guide that I used (see Setting Up a Bridged Wireless Access Point):

https://www.raspberrypi.com/do…puters/configuration.html

(installing OMV made the above stop working)

I tried then using this guide to make it work again but was unsuccessful:

https://geekingfrog.com/blog/post/networking-raspberry-pi

• How about creating a wpa_supplicant.conf text file and put it on the /boot folder when 1st booting a fresh install of RPiOS Lite (along side a "ssh" file for headless installation)???

How to Setup Raspberry Pi in Headless Mode on Ubuntu (linuxhint.com)

After booting, run the OMV script and see if it "sticks" (the WiFi).

• This week I started with a fresh Pi and blank SD and as soon as I installed OMV, it "ate" the bridged AP feature.

If you insist on configuring things before running the install script, then just use the -n flag on the install script to not setup networking. Setting up networking is what is breaking the bridge.

• If you insist on configuring things before running the install script, then just use the -n flag on the install script to not setup networking. Setting up networking is what is breaking the bridge.

Ups, forgot about that on my explanation, ;)

On some testings, I found that is a good approach to install OMV on the Pi, only after I have configured the Network and run the script with the -n flag.

One time, I was in a B&B that had a WiFi repeater that was always killing the connection when running the full/normal script.

Running it with net configured and -n flag solved the issue.

• On some testings, I found that is a good approach to install OMV on the Pi, only after I have configured the Network and run the script with the -n flag.

Only on routers with shitty dhcp servers, a static ip setup on a network without dhcp server, or weird wifi setups would it be a good approach to install after configuring. I have installed hundreds of times and never had a problem letting it configure networking. I am using dnsmasq for dhcp.

One time, I was in a B&B that had a WiFi repeater that was always killing the connection when running the full/normal script.

Running it with net configured and -n flag solved the issue.

You were installing OMV at a B&B?

• You were installing OMV at a B&B?

No, I was staying there while traveling on work. 😅

I always carry a couple of Pis to play around when the work allows, 😉

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!