Is is possible to blank or turn off monitor screen when idle (OMV5)?

• Hello folks! I have a old unused Surface Pro 4 and Surface Pro 4 Dock that I'm testing OMV5 on. The system is working well and has been on for several days. The only problem I have is that the screen is on all the time (at the login screen). Having the attached Surface keyboard up (closed) will cause the device to enter suspend mode. I was able to fix this by editing the logind.conf (/etc/systemd/logind.conf) and adding these lines:

HandleLidSwitch=ignore

HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore

HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=ignore

Now the system stays on with the keyboard closed (up) but the screen remains on all the time. Is there a way to blank or turn off the screen on idle, let say after 10 mins or so? I know the device is able to do this under Windows but I don't know how to with Debian (OMV5). Thanks!

• Solved it! If any one is interested, here's the solution that worked for me.

SSH in as root and type this:

Code
    cat /sys/module/kernel/parameters/consoleblank

That will tell you the current setting. In my case it was 0, for off.

Next, edit GRUG commandline:

Code
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Look for: GRUB_CMDLINE_DEFAULT

In my case, this was in my file:

Code
    before:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
    after:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet consoleblank=60"

I add 60 (for seconds), you can add your desire setting here (in seconds though).

Then close the file and save it, and run:

Code
    sudo update-grub

Now, reboot and wait (60 secs, in my case), and the screen will go blank if idle. Hit any key to activate the screen and use as normal... (again, if idle, screen will go blank).

Good luck!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!