Backing up multiple Windows machines to Raspberry Pi 4 with OMV5

• I apologize if this is answered in 100 threads and I just couldn't find them, but I'm hoping this is fairly basic. I've bought a Raspberry Pi 4 and followed TechnoDadLife instructions here to get OMV5 installed and running. I have also attached a 6TB USB drive to my raspberry Pi as the drive I want to backup to. Ideally, I want to get my Pi set up so that I can plug it in somewhere in my house, preferably using a wifi connection, and set it up so it will make routine backups of my desktop, laptop, and if possible, an Android phone and iPhone data. I really have no idea if I need to use Rsync, USBBackup, something else? I would prefer an easy way to select windows folders and back them up on an easily defined schedule. Do I need to hassle with installing OMV5 on both computers as well?

1) I need to get my OMV5 connecting through RPi4 via Wi-Fi.

2) I need to set up scheduled backups to back up specified folders from my two Windows 10 PCs to HDD attached to RPi4.

3) Backing up the Android and iPhone data would just be a plus if possible; could probably find a way to back them up to PCs and then PCs to OMV.

From my searching and watching other videos and reading guides, this seems like a complicated ask, but it feels like it should be an extremely common use-case and is probably much simpler than I'm making it. Thanks for any help!

Chris

• I just did one approach with our new Windows 10 PCs at home using the File History scheme built into Windows 10. I have both of our machines pointing the storage area for file history to our RAID5 OMV server, and both are set up to archive any updated files every 30 minutes. What I like about it is by simply right-mousing on any filename in file explorer allows us to bring up a list of all the file versions stored on the server, and restore from any of them. Lost or deleted files are recoverable as well, but through a different process. You can pick and choose which folders are included.

I still may implement say a weekly bulk backup using something else, but I started with this since it didn't require any additional tools or expertise to set up.

EDIT: Windows 10 also still has the Win 7 Backup/Restore feature available where something like a weekly backup can be scheduled. Here again, the backup location can simply be pointed to the pi. Either of these would at least give you an easy path to implement something simple while you continue to look into what you think is the best approach for you to use.

OMV 5.3.9 set up for RAID5 with (3) WD Red 4TB using repurposed Asus P8P67 i5-2500K 16GB

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von klunkerbus ()

• What I did was partition my 4TB drive as a backup partition and a media partition.

I backup my pc every 2 days with Veeam to my drive.

Veeam is free on Linux and Windows (Community Edition) :)

I also have a SMB Share for my backups

The definition of a lurker ^^

Main NAS: Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB with Docker on Raspberry OS Buster

Backup NAS: Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB with Docker on Raspberry OS Buster

Syncing Backup with Main over Rsync (just the NAS files) because no USB Raid :saint:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!