OpenMediaVault 0.6 Where are we going !

• Hello, i am a new user of OMV and a complete Linux newbie.
    Today i did an upgrade and now i see i have 0.6 version, but i can't find any changelog even in this website. What's changed?

• Erm. What did you do to get to this version? You can't install 0.6 without modifications via CLI, so you have to changed things there yourself.

To answer your question: There is no changelog for 0.6/Kralizec yet. It is also not yet publicly release or suggested to use.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Erm. What did you do to get to this version? You can't install 0.6 without modifications via CLI, so you have to changed things there yourself.

To answer your question: There is no changelog for 0.6/Kralizec yet. It is also not yet publicly release or suggested to use.

Greetings
    David

I think it's happened after i did a "apt-get upgrade" on the shell...

• Code
    dpkg -l | grep openmediavault
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hi Guys

I hope OMV doesn't give up support for 32bit systems and one thing that might be worth considering is that many people (including myself) may build a NAS and install OMV in order to re-purpose old hardware, and much of that old hardware will most likely be 32bit and if OMV stops supporting 32bit then maybe those who are already using that will look for another operating system to suit their hardware rather than look for hardware to suit their operating system

Just a thought keep up the good work

Graeme

• Offizieller Beitrag

32 bit support won't stop. Worst thing that would happen is that there wouldn't be 32 bit install media just like the arm architectures. With the next version, you could install Debian Wheezy and then OMV on that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "fabio978"

Hello, i am a new user of OMV and a complete Linux newbie.
    Today i did an upgrade and now i see i have 0.6 version, but i can't find any changelog even in this website. What's changed?

Ups... :oops: my mistake! As i said i am a newbie and i saw that "0.6" in a hurry. Later i realized it's the OMV-Extras version... :oops: (i couldn't check before cos i wasn't at home)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know it is a little confusing but I want the same omv-extras plugin to work on OMV 0.5 and 0.6.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

That is a lot more than I thought. I bet a lot of downloads are from Intel users downloading the 386 image because they think the amd64 image is for amd processors only. But I suppose some be running older atom or xeon systems.

I really don' believe that. Because the people who build a homemade NAS do have computer skills and do know the difference between x64/x86. The OMV users (custom hardware and install) are not the grandmothers and mothers in law.

That said I have two OMV boxes, one x64 @work (sleeping barracks, military, as media distribution) so powerconsumption and noise is no problem, and one x86 @home, the last one is a Optiplex SX270, small, silent, 3tb usb drive, P4 2.4, 2gb mem, 1gb lan, low powerconsumption, but x86. It is a really fine NAS/ OMV machine.

• For what it's worth, I found OMV because OpenFiler dropped 32bit support.

Most of my installs are a result of "Hey, we need more storage and we have all these old PCs. We should be able to use them." And those are 32bit systems. Personally, I'd prefer to see them buy a small, cheap system that would support 64bit. But when they have 20 PC's sitting in storage that are all perfectly capable of being a NAS, it's a hard sell.

As for ZFS, lots of people like it. But I think we should wait for btrfs. When it does reach production I think that can be OMV's big selling point.

edit: Mine are running 64bit. :)

• Show them a comparision of power consumption. They will buy new hardware these days...

About BTRFS: Even with Kernel 3.13 (!) it's still considered experimental. So I wouldn't get my hopes that high about this filesystem, even tough it has native support in Wheezy.

Greetings
    David

• chefp: BTRFS support will come directly from Volker.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "chefp"

I'd like to help with the ZFS and/or BTRFS plugin. Would someone point me to documentation on the source code, APIs, and anything else that could help get started developing this?

I will have you added to the developer forum. Here is the work miras has done so far on the zfs plugin. I told Miras that if he wrote the backend, I would write the frontend but we are always looking for more help :)

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ryanmillet"

is there a development build available of 0.6? if we aren't using ZFS isn't everything else pretty much done?

Yes.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!