Updates - GUI & Root Console

• Hi everyone,

First of all I do wish you are all well and managing to keep isolated as best as possible.

I just did a new install of OMV5 and I had some issues along the way, the system is up and running now but still some issues remain. I am trying to update packages using "apt-get update" and I get a could not resolve packages message.

I have GUI access but nothing appears/happens when using the Update Management option.

On the install system would hang on IPv6 and managed to circumnavigate by removing the network cable and also disabling IPv6 in the router.

I do have an internal IP, looks like I may not be getting out to update the debian packages.

Would be grateful for any pointers to assist. I also set Date & Time to NTP Server as was suggested elsewhere in Forum.

Thanks in advance.

• Thanks again macom,

cat etc/resolv.conf returned:

search local

nameserver 192.168.0.1

ping 8.8.8.8 -c 5 returned:

5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 10ms

I guess that means in my rookie understanding that we are able to ping outside the LAN?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, you have internet connection.

But there is only one nameserver (DNS server) defined: 192.168.0.1.

When you added the other two server, did you click save and the apply? Any error messages?

If you look in the network settings in the GUI of OMV, do still see the three server in there?

Please post the output of

ls -al /etc/resolv.conf

Should be like this

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Jan 4 19:25 /etc/resolv.conf -> /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf

To get it working you can add an additional nameserver manually

add "nameserver 1.0.0.1" to the end of /etc/resolv.conf

systemctl enable systemd-resolved.service

systemctl start systemd-resolved.service

• macom,

Yes, all servers are still within the settings, no issue when saving. Snapshot attached, interestingly no IP is shown on the DHCP field but it is visible on the GUI.

ls -al /etc/resolv.conf returns:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 36 Mar 26 09:09 /etc/resolv.conf

The command for adding a manual nameserver is:

/etc/resolv.conf 1.0.0.1 is this correct?

Can you elaborate on the other two further commands below please:

Just for your information and as I think I mentioned in the first post. When I did the initial install, when the install was setting up IPv6 it would hang and not be able to install any further. I disabled IPv6 on my ISP's router, seems no other issues with devices in the house. I tried to set up a virtual machine (laptop) with OMV5.3.9-1 iso. Same thing happened when it gets to IPv6 on the install, it's unable to install further and sits on a blue screen.

Thanks for the help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The command for adding a manual nameserver is:

nano /etc/resolv.conf opens nano as editor for the file

add "nameserver 1.0.0.1" at the end

Ctrl +x

Y

then run the two commands to make the change effective

Then update the system

omv-update

Hopefully it is fixed then.

• Thanks macom,

But have no idea how to use nano, being a bit slow here, you'll need to step me through this a little more rookie like if possible... sorry.

I opened nano and I'm already big time lost, there was something like local name server 192.168.0.1 whatever I did I rebooted and now its not there.

Any chance you could give me some baby steps please... no idea what your message above means even though how simple it will be.

Got no idea how to safely exit nano. Sorry for this.

• Got no idea how to safely exit nano. Sorry for this.

Twenty of the most frequently found to be useful nano commands are at the bottom of the screen. ^ is the Ctrl key.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Just tried... as I thought... I am stupid

When I got into nano it said no etc directory exists.

Then after making changes etc/resolve.conf nameserver1.0.0.1 says no such file or directory

I have no idea what to do with Nano, as said when I first logged in I'm sure it said:

Local

Now nothing on login to nano.

Sorry man, out of my depth here.

• Twenty of the most frequently found to be useful nano commands are at the bottom of the screen. ^ is the Ctrl key.

Thanks for the support I'm looking at that too...

Still got no idea how to manage the interface, if I need spaces, new lines etc.

Cant be anymore honest than that, even though it's a simple request.

• nano is a text editor. When you start it you have two choices.

One is to pass the filename you wish to edit on the commandline:

Code
    nano /etc/resolv.conf

And yes, spelling counts so double check the filename and path. This will open an existing file for editing, if the file exists. Misspelled files usually do not exist, and if they don't a new file with the misspelled name is opened for editing.

The other way is to just run nano alone. This will open a file for editing that has no name yet. When you close nano you will be prompted for a filename. I think I mentioned that spelling counts, so be very careful.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks gderf and macom,

I used nano /etc/resolv.conf from OMV CLI, upon entering nano all I have is a cursor blinking at the top of the page.

I added the following below to the cursor line:

nano /etc/resolv.conf nameserver 1.0.0.1

Then added the two commands followed by the omv-update.

It then listed the packages, went to try and fetch them but got on all the counts:

Could not resolve packages for security.debian, deb.debian, and omv.org

0 upgraded and 0 installed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!