OMV5 docker portainer plex Panasonic smart TV, I'm confused :-)

• Hey guys,

I had OMV4 on a Hardkernel ODROID-HC1 with the Plex plugin so my mum could play movies on her Panasonic TV with its plex app, which worked fine.

Now I have switched to OMV5 and I am a bit puzzled what would be the straightforward way to set that up. I am currently playing with OMV5 and I am not afraid to start from scratch if I f...ed something up.

I have followed this tutorial on youtube:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

It seems to sort of work, as I can play videos with the plex app on my smart phone, however my mums TV doesn't want to play anything. Looks like it's a plex issue, so I will head to the plex forums as well, but I have a general question: Why would I use this setup instead of adding the plex repo and install the deb? If I understand correctly, plex can be installed directly on arm platforms, which would be much easier than using all this docker and portainer stuff, or not?

https://forums.plex.tv/t/read-…rmv8-ubuntu-debian/226567

There must be some benefits to the approach via docker that I am missing...

The problem is that I blindly followed the tutorial without understanding what I'm doing, which I usually don't like to do, but this setup was so complicated that I gave up and just followed the steps. Now I have a hard time trouble shooting because I have no idea what I did and I have a million options in portainer which I don't understand...

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I am a bit lost :)

So, back to the question: Is the correct way to get plex running on armbian OMV5 really to use docker and portainer instead of just installing the plexmediaserver.deb?

Thanks chaps!

Björn

• Offizieller Beitrag

The benefit from using docker becomes more apparent when you run several dockers. And when you run dockers that would fail to install because they clash with some software that OMV or some other software needs.

By all means feel free to install directly. Nobody is going to stop you! However it may be a valuable skill to have once you decide to install something else.

And you seem keen to learn and try new stuff. See this as a learning experience. Get plex working in a docker on OMV5. Why else would you install OMV5 when you had OMV4 running fine with plex?

As you experiment, make sure you clone the SD card so you don't have to reinstall from scratch over and over again.

Also make sure that you don't place any plex app data and databases on the SD card. If you do, it won't last long.

• Allright, thanks! Time to get a second SD-card then I guess :)

I switched to OMV5 because I wanted to have the system up to date, really no other reason. Maybe this was a bit too early...

I'll try to see if I can fix the plex internal issues with the plex forums, and then decide how to carry on.

"Also make sure that you don't place any plex app data and databases on the SD card. If you do, it won't last long."

If I continue to use the setup with docker, do I have to do anything here or is that correct already? With all autoscanning disabled at least plex now allows the HDD to spin down, but I don't know if it writes anything to the SD-card regularly. I guess the portainer images and volumes and containers are located on the SD-card?!?

I have the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin installed.

Thanks again!

Björn

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to make sure that the volumes for databases and metadata used by plex are stored on the HDD and not on the SD card. This is mentioned again and again on this forum.

The reason is that otherwise plex will write to databases stored on the SD card whenever you update metadata or add new media. This is likely to wear out the SD card and negate the benefits from using the SD card.

• Hi,

"The reason is that otherwise plex will write to databases stored on the SD card whenever you update metadata or add new media."

I have all autoscanning disabled, and I add media very seldom and then do a manual scan, if it only writes to the SD during/after manual media scans I can live with it I guess. I'll just give it a go, if the SD-card dies, I know it's not working.

Thanks for the hints!

Björn

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!