OMV 5 released!

• Offizieller Beitrag

will there also be an OMV image for SBC's ?

No, OMV 5 does not install in chroot making it very difficult to build an image. You just install armbian then run the install script - Installing OMV5 on Raspberry PI's, Armbian SBC's, & i386 32-bit platforms

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here's the -> release announcement. Setting aside the differences in the GUI, as far as I know, there's no side-by-side "feature" comparison between 5 and 6.

There is, however, the consideration of the End-of-Life of the underlying Debian OS. OMV5 is built on Debian 10 which has an EOL of September 10th, 2022. There's nothing preventing you from using OMV5 & Debian 10. However package updates, security fixes and overall support drop off sharply over time for OMV5 and Debian 10.

(LTS, for security updates and fixes, has yet to be determined for Debian 10 but it may run until 2024.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't seem to find out what the benefits of upgrading from 5.x are

The benefits are that you will be on a supported release.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• The benefits are that you will be on a supported release.

Ok, well that doesn't sound like an awful lot of benefit given i'm not in an enterprise environment. Given that every single OMV release-update i've done in the last 10+ years has resulted in needing to rebuild from scratch, I'm not keen on updating for updatings sake. I no longer have the time or the patience to spend days on troubleshooting/rebuilding.

I would have thought that there would be some other improvements/new functionality etc which would justify the new version number.

Thanks for your reply.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, well that doesn't sound like an awful lot of benefit given i'm not in an enterprise environment.

It doesn't matter if your in an enterprise environment. We are supporting you right now and would prefer to spend our time supporting a supported release.

Given that every single OMV release-update i've done in the last 10+ years has resulted in needing to rebuild from scratch, I'm not keen on updating for updatings sake. I no longer have the time or the patience to spend days on troubleshooting/rebuilding.

That is amazing because I have done hundreds if not thousands of upgrades in the last 10+ years and don't remember a single one that I *had* to rebuild from scratch. My current server started life as proxmox 3.x then 4.x then 5.x (I think) then converted it to OMV 4.x (no reinstall) then 5.x and now 6.x. The reason for updating is not just for updating sake. It is to stay up to date with the latest security updates and bug fixes. You would regret not being up to date if ransomware/virus/hacker got on your network.

I would love to see how complicated your system is because if you aren't spending time moving TBs of data (not needed for reinstalls), even my OMV development systems (lots of disks and every plugin installed and configured) wouldn't take days to rebuild.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!