Motherboard RAID

• Hi guys,

I'm new to DIY NAS-building and got a question regarding motherboard RAID. I've previously considered FreeNAS, but found in a bit complicated. Especially the part where I need to buy a HBA-controller and flashing it to IT mode for it to work properly.

I'm considering using my ASUS B360-I Gaming motherboard in a DIY NAS. This motherboard has 4 sata-controllers. Since I'm going for a 4-disk NAS, this is perfect for me. My question is if OMV like FreeNAS requires or seriously recommends using a HBA instead of the SATA-ports on the motherboard? Can I use the SATA-ports on my motherboard and still make use of OMV's software RAID without any problems?

Thanks for any help in advance!

• There is no requirement to use an HBA instead of on board SATA ports to be able to use OMV's software RAID.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Aha,

I see now. So I would just not use the motherboard RAID feature and let OMV do the job. I got so caught up in the whole HBA thing that I didn't think clearly. Thanks geaves and gderf for your quick response and help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV relies on Debian for a lot of the basic functionality. This means that if you can install Debian, then most likely OMV will run OK.

With better hardware OMV will naturally work better and faster. As long as that hardware is supported by Debian. OMV often works well even on "weak" and very old hardware.

For me the lower limit goes with Gigabit Ethernet and USB3. Preferably SATA III. But I know OMV is used here and there with Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps and USB2. And it works.

If you have a 1 Gbps network, then that will typically be the bottleneck for big file transfers or streaming, not the rest of the hardware.

Using OMV it is possible, even easy, to build a very power efficient, cheap and simple NAS that is more than powerful enough for home use.

But there is nothing to stop you from going overboard and buy the most powerful and expensive hardware and use that. If that is what you want.

I suggest that you start with converting some old x86 PC into a OMV NAS, just to experiment and get some experience. Using an old feeble laptop is popular as well, and great as a test bench. Plug in an external HDD. Or use a Raspberry Pi.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suggest that you start with converting some old x86 PC into a OMV NAS, just to experiment and get some experience

In the last six months I have been given two dual core x-86 machines that work perfectly (if not economically) for OMV, with just a 32 gig usb thumb drive for the os. When you upgrade in the future they make great backup machines. If you put the word out among relatives, friends, and neighbors you will be surprised at what you can find.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!