shared folder access denied from windows lap top on same network as server

• I just recently got OMV 4 going with emby, radarr, sonarr, and jackett so far. Everything is running great, but when I added "The Blacklist" to my download list through sonarr, it created a new folder even though I had one already. This is fine and wouldn't be a problem on it's own but then I noticed it wont let me edit/modify or delete the folders in anyway to try and combine them. It just says folder access denied and that I need permission to preform this action.

It seems I can copy files over into these shared folders no problem, and even delete those files if I do it right away, but once the files are there, I can no longer move them around or edit files from my laptop that is on the same network. I could've sworn I had this ability before when I was transferring over some tv episodes from my laptop to the shared folders created on OMV, but maybe I was making any changes to the folders/files right away and didn't realized they were getting locked or whatever.

I've tried editing privileges and whatever else I could find but either I'm doing it wrong or I'm completely missing the problem and I can't figure out what it is. I'm pretty new at this so hopefully I've explained the problem well enough but please let me know if any other information is needed to help me or even screenshots of settings or the potential problem and I'll get it up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Find the directory under /srv (/srv/dev-disk-by-.../Share Name

Assuming you have set up a user on your NAS (to many seem to use root for everything), you could then SSH your server and become root.. then

chown -R username:users /path/to/share

Remember if a folder has spaces, use quotes... (ie, /path/to/"Share Name")

• Sorry, I'm still pretty new to this and a little confused by what you mean. Could you clarify a little more?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, I'm still pretty new to this and a little confused by what you mean. Could you clarify a little more?

I'm assuming you've created a user on your NAS (under users in the webUI).. assuming so..

SSH your server and become root

cd /srv

ls (that's an L).. this will list the contents of the /srv directory... you'll need to cd into each one and find your shared folder (use tab to auto complete if you can)

Once you find the directory, and assuming you've created a user that you're using for smb (again so many seem to use guest, or root, etc.. so you may well have done things differently depending on instructions you followed, etc.)..

chown -R username:users /srv/path/to/"Share Name". if the share name has a space, you have to use quotes.. otherwise they aren't needed.

• Thanks for clarifying, I did in fact create a user and pretty sure I gave him all permissions. I followed along with Techno Dad Life's video about installing omv 4.

I went into shellinabox and logged in with root and got this far

Code
    root@omv-r420:~# cd /srv                                                                                                                                                root@omv-r420:/srv# ls                                                                                                                                                  dev-disk-by-label-raid5  ftp                                                                                                                                            root@omv-r420:/srv#  

but what do I cd into from here?

I apologize, I know this is probably pretty simple stuff but I'm still figuring it out and have always used OS's like Windows or Ubuntu so this is still a lot to take in.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well I'm assuming the folder in question on raid5...

so cd/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5

then ls the directories again, and continue until you find the directory in question.

• Well I'm assuming the folder in question on raid5...

so cd/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5

then ls the directories again, and continue until you find the directory in question.

thanks, I was able to get to the media folder and did the chown command on it but doesn't seem to have helped with my problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

thanks, I was able to get to the media folder and did the chown command on it but doesn't seem to have helped with my problem.

post the output of this..

ls -l /path/to/folder

(again, that's all lowercase L's)

• post the output of this..

ls -l /path/to/folder

(again, that's all lowercase L's)

Code
    root@omv-r420:~# cd /srv                                                                                                                                                root@omv-r420:/srv# ls                                                                                                                                                  dev-disk-by-label-raid5  ftp                                                                                                                                            root@omv-r420:/srv# cd /srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5/                                                                                                                    root@omv-r420:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5# ls                                                                                                                          appdata  documents  downloads  lost+found  media  watched                                                                                                               root@omv-r420:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5# ls -l /srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5/media                                                                                    total 12                                                                                                                                                                drwxrwsrwx 14 cr0 users 4096 Apr  2 10:32 Movies                                                                                                                        drwxrwsrwx  2 cr0 users 4096 Mar 26 12:35 Music                                                                                                                         drwxrwsrwx 17 cr0 users 4096 Apr  2 21:07 TV Shows                                                                                                                      root@omv-r420:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5#       
    • Offizieller Beitrag
    Code
    root@omv-r420:~# cd /srv                                                                                                                                                root@omv-r420:/srv# ls                                                                                                                                                  dev-disk-by-label-raid5  ftp                                                                                                                                            root@omv-r420:/srv# cd /srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5/                                                                                                                    root@omv-r420:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5# ls                                                                                                                          appdata  documents  downloads  lost+found  media  watched                                                                                                               root@omv-r420:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5# ls -l /srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5/media                                                                                    total 12                                                                                                                                                                drwxrwsrwx 14 cr0 users 4096 Apr  2 10:32 Movies                                                                                                                        drwxrwsrwx  2 cr0 users 4096 Mar 26 12:35 Music                                                                                                                         drwxrwsrwx 17 cr0 users 4096 Apr  2 21:07 TV Shows                                                                                                                      root@omv-r420:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5#       

WHere is this "the blacklist" folder? I'm assuming it's under Movies?... so that's where you'd need to run the command, so it would show the results for the blacklist folder.

If it's showing the correct username/users requirement (which all of those appear to be)... then it maybe try to restart SMB/CIFS in the webUI

• It's actually in the tv folders but I'm having the same problem in pretty much all my shared folders so though if I just did the command on the media folder it would affect so of them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's actually in the tv folders but I'm having the same problem in pretty much all my shared folders so though if I just did the command on the media folder it would affect so of them.

So it's all of your folders, and not just this black list folder? I was under the impression it was just this blacklist folder.

• So it's all of your folders, and not just this black list folder? I was under the impression it was just this blacklist folder.

Yeah the blacklist one is just the folder I realized it ok but I can't delete files out of any of the folders.

Do I need to give my laptop permissions somehow?

• So I've tried messing with it some more and it seems like some folders I can delete from my laptop but others I can't. Like I have a couple folders in my "appdata" folder that I deleted the docker for but can't delete the folder that was related to the docker even though its not running anymore.

It also seems I was able to delete "the blacklist" folder I had put on there myself, as well as modify or delete any other folder I put on there from my laptop, but I am unable to delete or add files the the folders that sonarr has created to store the tv shows I asked it to download. I am able to change the name of the folders put on there by sonarr though which is odd since I don't have the ability to delete them, just edit the name of?

I'll try that chown thing again on just the blacklist folder and see if that helps.

• Code
    root@omv-r420:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5/media# cd /srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5/media/"TV Shows"                                                                      root@omv-r420:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5/media/TV Shows# ls                                                                                                           Batwoman (2019)                    Legends of Tomorrow (2016)  Outlander       Silicon Valley    The Blacklist     The Magicians (2015)  Watchmen (2019)                It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia  Mr. Robot                   Schitt's Creek  Supergirl (2015)  The Flash (2014)  Titans (2018)                                        root@omv-r420:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5/media/TV Shows# ls -l /srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5/media/"TV Shows"/"The Blacklist"                                          total 4                                                                                                                                                                 drwxr-sr-x 2 cr0 users 4096 Apr  1 19:34 Season 7                                                                                                                       root@omv-r420:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-raid5/media/TV Shows#        
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Your appdata folder isn't particularly surprising. Several containers make root take over those folders so they can't be deleted by a regular user (personally I don't even share this folder over the network.. I just ssh in, mkdir name, and it's done.

• Your appdata folder isn't particularly surprising. Several containers make root take over those folders so they can't be deleted by a regular user (personally I don't even share this folder over the network.. I just ssh in, mkdir name, and it's done.

Yeah I'm not too worried about the appdata one and only shared it initially because I was following along with techno dad as I'm still learning everything. Is there a resource that has all the commands you can make in the CLI?

Also any other ideas on whats going on with my media folders? I guess sonarr is making them in root or something but is there some way I can fix that and gain access from my lap top on the same network?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah I'm not too worried about the appdata one and only shared it initially because I was following along with techno dad as I'm still learning everything. Is there a resource that has all the commands you can make in the CLI?

Also any other ideas on whats going on with my media folders? I guess sonarr is making them in root or something but is there some way I can fix that and gain access from my lap top on the same network?

You can try using the resetperms plugin (install it in the omv-webui).. and reset your permissions on your folder... Set it to Admin read/write, User read/write, guest.. whatever you want... see if that helps. It should apply those permissions to all sub directories of a share.

There would be literally a 1000 page book on all the commands you could run (well maybe not that many, but it would be extensive). Here's a sort of "cheat sheet" I downloaded years ago... some of the commands have been depricated, and it's certainly not all inclusive.. but the "main" ones many will use (ls, cd, mv, and many others).. will work fine. I can't find a public link for it anymore, but It's on my Google Drive and you're free to take a look at it.

https://drive.google.com/open?…EUXXtFKd-0qEe8WhoPBL4jQh_

• You can try using the resetperms plugin (install it in the omv-webui).. and reset your permissions on your folder... Set it to Admin read/write, User read/write, guest.. whatever you want... see if that helps. It should apply those permissions to all sub directories of a share.

There would be literally a 1000 page book on all the commands you could run (well maybe not that many, but it would be extensive). Here's a sort of "cheat sheet" I downloaded years ago... some of the commands have been depricated, and it's certainly not all inclusive.. but the "main" ones many will use (ls, cd, mv, and many others).. will work fine. I can't find a public link for it anymore, but It's on my Google Drive and you're free to take a look at it.

https://drive.google.com/open?…EUXXtFKd-0qEe8WhoPBL4jQh_

I could've sworn I tried the resetperms already and it not working but I just tried it again and I'm able to modify the folders in my median folder again. Thanks for the help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!