Fresh OMV5 Install -> Migrate OMV4 settings , drives and data

• I have OMV4 which has been upgraded from OMV2 or 3 as i remember.

It has a number of apps from outside OMV e.g. tomcat and openkm, etc.

I want to get a clean install of OMV and move my data and system config / settings e.g. firewall rules, etc across.

In particular, i use a DOM for the system drive, so i can put in a fresh one and create a new system, but how to migrate the settings from OMV across without the data drives, etc being reformatted

• There is no official upgrade path from OMV4 to OMV5.

From the release announcement:

Because of the huge changes in this version there is no official migration path from OMV4 to OMV5, which does not mean that it is not possible.

There are several posts and threads on how to do it anyway and what works and what doesn't work. You should be able to find it all easily. If you have difficulties finding it or understanding it, then you maybe shouldn't try it.

The easiest and safest may be a fresh install.

Start by making sure that your backups are good and fresh. Then you don't need to worry about data loss.

Install having only the future system drive connected. Make sure everything is updated and work properly. You may also want to clone the system drive with the fresh install. Then you don't have to reinstall from scratch if you make some mistake you can't easily recover from.

Then connect data drives. OMV should be able to detect them and you should be able to mount existing filesystems and reuse your existing data.

You will have to setup network, add users, mount filesystems, configure shares and services and configure docker apps and so on. It is a new installation.

But all your data should still be there.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs. This help is Grateful™.
    OMV 4: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Edited 2 times, last by Adoby ().

• Sorry, I can't help with that.

However it might be possible to simply save the current settings and then migrate them. I assume that you would need to use the command line for that.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs. This help is Grateful™.
    OMV 4: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!