Why all the hoops to get this thing installed on USB?

• Hello All,

I'm getting an error trying to install to an 8GB USB drive saying that the device is too small. Clearly that is not the case since the installed OS is taking up less than 2gb on my 4TB spinning drive that I did a test install on.

Why is it so difficult to get this thing installed on USB? It's such a great NAS yet the installer clearly has issues. People are having to resort to installing on large drives, then shrinking partitions and cloning over to another device so they can get it installed on the device they want it installed on or using the parent distro (debian) to netinstall which for me isn't pleasant with only 3Mbit of bandwidth. It took me over an hour to download the ISO for omv.

I've tried installing to my 8GB usb drive on several systems both from a real dvd drive and a usb dvd drive and get the same error no matter where I try. Ultimately I have a machine with 16gb of ram and 16TB (in 4 individual 4 TB drives) that I want to install on and I don't want to use up a 4TB drive for a 2GB install. This machine has no additional sata ports for a separate SSD so my choice was to run on USB except I can't seem to get it installed.

Don't know what to do from here. Please help!!

Rich

• Offizieller Beitrag

Problem is your memory. The installer tries to create a swap partition. The size is depending on the size of your RAM.

Solution: install Debian first with the net inst. Minimal installation without desktop environment.

Process is described here:

Installing OMV5 on Raspberry PI's, Armbian SBC's, & i386 32-bit platforms

Just use the debian version for amd64.

• I'm downloading the minimal cd image now (350 some MB) ..

Why can't they just fix the installer so it doesn't do that? Would be so much nicer if it just worked! :)

Rich

• Since I have an 8GB USB flash drive and my test system has 8GB of ram in 2x 4GB sticks so if I removed one I still would have 4GB and it would likely try to create swap 2x memory and cause it to fail would it not?

Rich

• Ok did it with the Debian installer and got the same message - big red screen "Failed to partition the selected disk" This probably happened because the selected disk or free space is too small to be automatically partitioned.

I'm trying to do it with manually partitioning the disk and swap area. It's installing the base system right now.

Rich

• I've been running my OMV for five years on a box with 16GB of RAM and no swap at all. Never had a problem with this. Might be something to consider.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• My humble opinion: I would not install OMV (or anything at all) on a 8GB stick.

Nowadays reputable brands don't produce anything new (or decent) below 32GB, otherwise it's a Chinese knock-off or used drive, which you should avoid.

I purchased a 32GB SanDisk USB drive just for OMV and I paid less than 10€. I have tons of USB sticks at home, but they're either old or low quality, to be trusted only for a system rescue or reinstall.

Even if you use the Flash Memory Plugin (you should) and have everything else running off your boot disk like most of us do, that is still your boot disk!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Get a Sandisk Ultra Flair 32 gig. $7.50 US. Buy two and make a backup using dd when you get it up and running.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Get a Sandisk Ultra Flair 32 gig. $7.50 US. Buy two and make a backup using dd when you get it up and running.

That's exactly the one I bought, but I did not remember the name!

It's reasonably fast and I hope it's reliable too ? Good advice for buying a spare one... Will do so!

I was using dd as well, but ryecoaaron has recently recommended to use fsarchiver. I have made the switch since then, and its a LOT quicker (takes about a minute) and consumes only the used space w/ added compression, so it's really great. I haven't tested yet any restore, but the restore procedure it's pretty the same as of dd.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!