Mirror clean, degraded

• Seagate Backup Plus Hub 6TB

The external hardrive was disconnected from the server.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any assistance would be appreciated.

USB raid creation is not supported on OMV too many problems as you have just noticed.

Best suggestion is to reboot as the drive is displaying in blkid and so is the raid reference, also the raid is showing as active not as active clean/degraded

• In the console, it states clean, degraded. I saw in another post that using rsync would be better to "mirror" the drives. I think I might go that route. Is there a way to break the RAID and not lose the data?

• Offizieller Beitrag

In the console, it states clean, degraded.

?( what does it show in the WebUI

Is there a way to break the RAID and not lose the data?

I take it you don't have a backup then?

Technically you should be able to fail then remove the drive that has disappeared from the array, then wipe it, format it, then move your data from the working single raid drive. If that works you can then remove the array.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok first you're going to have to get the data off the remaining working drive, once you've done that in the WebUI Raid Management, select the Raid and click delete on the menu this will delete the raid and it should remove it under file systems.

8| nearly forgot my bad!! before you can delete the raid remove smb shares first then shared folders that are on that raid

Then in storage -> disks select each drive in turn click wipe on the menu and select short, this will wipe both drives.

File Systems -> create select one of the drives give is a name i.e. data, format it to ext4, do the same on the second but I suggest naming it backup, the label is up to you but basically one is for data and the other is to back up too.

On the data drive create your shares then add them to smb so they are accessible, on the backup drive (which will use rsync) create folders to backup too, as an example I have a folder Movies the backup for that is MoviesBack, that means when I set up rsync I have a source folder -> Movies and a destination folder -> MoviesBack not very intuitive but it works for me. You may get a better idea from the guide here this is well written and will give examples I believe it also references rsnapshot.

But in essence you are enabling the same as a Raid 1 but using the drives individually, if one drive fails you just replace it and set the new drive with the same parameters as the old then just rsync back.

• geaves, if I were to do an rsync from server to external drive, I should have the data off of the working drive. I would do it one more time before I was ready.

My questions is how do I know what the working drive is? I doubt this questions is relevant because it looks like I will have to wipe both drives anyways.

I am concerned about restoring the backup due to bandwidth, bandwidth restrictions, rsync failing in the middle, etc.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My questions is how do I know what the working drive is? I doubt this questions is relevant because it looks like I will have to wipe both drives anyways.

You will have to wipe them

I am concerned about restoring the backup due to bandwidth, bandwidth restrictions, rsync failing in the middle, etc.

This is something you are not going to know until you start using it, but you have already had a raid fall over from using usb, rsync should only be governed by the usb throughput.

• geaves I guess I forgot to mention that I am backing up the data over VPN. I hate to add to a specific issue, but do you have suggestions? I tried WinSCP, robocopy, rsync, and Duplicati. Rsync seems to be the best option to sync/backup data.

• I am doing an offsite backup of my church's data. We have OpenVPN setup on the router. I tried Duplicati, but I get a different IP all the time. I am still looking into allowing me to get a static VPN IP or allowing two way communication since I get a class A address and the internal network is a class C.

When I did Duplicati, I didn't get data, but a bunch of .aes files. I am not well versed in Duplicati, but willing to learn. I might give it another shot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can we go back a few steps here, in your first post you had created a Raid using 2 USB drives, one had disappeared which can happen that is why Raid configuration was disabled for USB drives.

So assuming both drives are connected to the SBC one will be in use with the clean/degraded array, the second should still be visible under Storage -> Disks, if it is select the drive and click wipe on the menu and select short on the pop out. Ensure you select the correct drive!! Close the box once complete.

File Systems click create on the menu, select the drive you just wiped give the drive a name i.e. data, select ext4, click OK to format the drive. Once it's finished create a single on that drive and add it to SMB.

Now what you should are your SMB shares on your degraded array and that SMB share you have created on that newly formatted drive, now copy the data from the raid shares to the new share on the second drive.

That's it, no need for Duplicati, rsync, robocopy or anything, then follow post 7

• Thank you geaves . I finally got around to do this.

I am sorry about the confusion, but the setup goes as follows. I have Raspberry Pi running OMV 5 with two external hard disks at my church. One is a main disk with a share and the other is a backup disk running Rsync using Cron. No more RAID!

To satisfy the 3-2-1 rule of backups, I have an identical external hard drive at my house. Openvpn is setup on the router and I am going to do a full backup from time to time. I have a Windows 10 desktop that used to be a camera server with WSL enabled. What would be the most efficient and/or fastest way to backup the share off site at my house? Should I not even look into VPNing into the church and utilize the USB backup? I do appreciate the work you put in and I look forward to your suggestion(s).

• Offizieller Beitrag

One is a main disk with a share and the other is a backup disk running Rsync using Cron. No more RAID!

:thumbup: much better option.

What would be the most efficient and/or fastest way to backup the share off site at my house

Unfortunately you're asking someone who has not done this so I did some searching and found this it may be of help, but AFAIK you can push and pull rsync.

What would be a problem is if you used the remote mount plugin on OMV created the share on OMV from your Windows machine then run rsync, if you shut Windows down OMV would lose the mount point and would give you more headaches. I think the article would suit your needs as it would 'pull' the files from OMV.

• Thank you for the information! It is basically making Windows talk to Linux and use Linux tools. I utilize Windows Subsystem for Linux.

I should have been more specific. I was going to use the USBbackup, but that would require me to go on site. I am looking to do backups, at least some throughout the year, remotely.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!