What's the Best™ configuration for five drives?

• Fact 1: My server will always have exactly 5 drives installed because that's as many as the case can hold.

Fact 2: There will be an off-site backup solution in place.

Did I say hello, btw? Sorry. Hi! :S

Now: What's the Best™ configuration for 5 drives? They're all 4TB WD Reds connected directly to the mainboard.

a) All 5 in Raid6/RaidZ2

b) 4 drives in Raid6/RaidZ2 and the 5:th as a backup. (a real back-up, not a hot spare)

c) Same as b but with Raid10 instead.

d) <insert Best™ idea here>

I don't care which configuration makes it easier to add more disks (see Fact 1).

I'm fully aware that Raid isn't a substitute for backup (see Fact 2).

• Offizieller Beitrag

d) 4 drives in unionfs and one for backups. No redundancy!

I assume that the offsite backup(s) are for mostly static data and the fifth drive is for versioned backup of frequently changing data. Good configuration!

Since you save one drive, that otherwise would be used for redundancy, you can either use that saved drive for more data or more local versioned backups.

• Wow! This is a pretty active forum...

I've never heard of either unionfs nor snapraid.

It's back to school for me - any suggestions on resources for catching up on these?

• It's back to school for me - any suggestions on resources for catching up on these?

Read the available documentation for snapraid and mergerfs.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

https://www.snapraid.it/ Be warned; there is a bit of a learning curve. Lots of info on the forum about SnapRaid and Unionfs. Look for posts by crashtest on SnapRaid. As I understand it, all of your data does not need to be under the SnapRaid umbrella. SnapRaid is best used with large media files that seldom/never change. Leave your AppData folder out of it, and anything else that changes periodically.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!