My 30TB OVM installation with UnionFS & Snapraid

• After long considering what to use and how to configure my new NAS system I made following NAS

HP Gen8 with Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz and 4GB Memory and 4x10TB and 1TB HDD running OMV

ByJJeSh.jpg

What I did was add the 4x10TB, Actually they where 3,5" external HDDs and I removed the casing. Why? Those disks are cheaper than buying one without enclosure

I wiped the disks in OMV5 and added them as seperate Disk1 to Disk4

tN4HuUd.jpg

Than I installed the plugin UnionFS and Pooled 3 disks together

than I have the SNAPRAID plugin and added the 3 disks as content/data disk and added one disk for parity.

As I have 3 other HP Gen8 with OMV4 as well I am now busy with mounting those NAS through NFS and than with a simple rsync command I am migrating all the data.

Now creating the shares and setting the access rights correctly will be somehing .. but W'll be busy some days. I have 17TB to migrate ..:P

5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

• Offizieller Beitrag

Even better than the remote plugin is autofs.

I have all my shares available on/from all my OMV servers, using autofs and nfs. And it is "selfhealing" so it doesn't matter what order servers are booted or rebooted. I use it for rsync snapshots between the OMV servers.

But autofs is in the command line realm...

• just read you have to tape over the third pin as they enable the 3.3v pin.

That depends of the case or the power supply which is used. Sometimes is necessary, sometimes not. I use a WD80EMAZ for backup. With an older power supply i had to use a molex to sata power adaptor. On an other case with a newer power supply it has worked out ot the box. I never have manipulated one of the pins.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• :huh: I'm putting that aside for a rainy day, just read you have to tape over the third pin as they enable the 3.3v pin.

nope.. only when using old kind of devices. My HP Gen8 is eating the 10TB without any modification.,

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

• Try to use the remote mount plugin if you have more than one OMV installations. It is quite handy.

I do that on the commandline, must mount the NFS share and use a simple but fast Rsync command

afterwards I am setting the permissions right.

cause with my old NAS devices (with OMV) I am not using users, so everyone is allowed to do everything, but with this new device I have some users and some shares are for everyone ..

as it is 100% home use I do not really care about permissions. Only 1 or 2 shared folders with some critical stuff is user protected

• Even better than the remote plugin is autofs.

I have all my shares available on/from all my OMV servers, using autofs and nfs. And it is "selfhealing" so it doesn't matter what order servers are booted or rebooted. I use it for rsync snapshots between the OMV servers.

But autofs is in the command line realm...

So If I understand you correctly autofs takes care that if a NFS share is being lost it is being added automatically if a device is back online?

interesting.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, exactly. It runs on the "client" side. So shares and nfs is configured normally using the OMV GUI. It is only the mounting that is automated.

I even use autofs on my Linux laptop. And the OMV shares are available when the laptop is in Wi-Fi range. And not when it is not. And I don't have to do anything.

I have only used autofs with nfs, but it supports smb as well. But differently. And I haven't used autofs with OMV5. Yet...

I used autofs like this since before I started using OMV. And I see no reason to stop.

RE: remote mount plugin with offline drives

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!