• Hello people,

I stuck with somthing.

In the config.xml you can find something like this:

<sharedfolder>

<uuid>9e83561e-f8f9-4aec-89ef-1ae69dce55c1</uuid>

<name>fubar</name>

<comment></comment>

<mntentref>39d6f1bd-83c4-4d83-90de-a262530d58fa</mntentref>

Where does the combination of numbers and characters come from?

I try to come more into OMV but this I don't understand, I don't think that it is any serial number.

Is it random?:?::?::?:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. A UUID is a random and persistent 128 bit number. It is often encoded as sequences of hex digits.

It is used to identify for instance disks and partitions. It is assigned when the disk is partitioned.

And this is nothing unique for OMV.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik…ersally_unique_identifier

Once upon a time disks and partitions were only assigned letters and numbers based on how the were connected to the computer and/or the order in which they powered up. If you plug in/out and move around disks, what once was sda1 suddenly could become sdd1 instead. Or something else. Very confusing. And things stopped working.

By using UUID instead you can move disks around and plug them in/out. They still keep the UUID they received when partitioned. And things keep working.

By using a unique identifier like UUID (or possibly a label) your operating system and disks can live happily together forever.

Since the UUID is 128 bits long the chance for two disks having the same UUID is very, very small. So random numbers work fine.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!