OMV 5 - Install ... Proxmox or Native?

• hi,

currently am running OMV4 on Debian 9 wit XFCE with autoshutdown and WOL - so no 24/7 standalone server. I am using the PC for simple office tasks as well.

since OMV5 was released, I want to upgrade to OMV5 with Debian 10.

Now I am wondering if should install Debian 10 with XFCE and OMV (as I have now) or should switch to Debian with XFCE and Proxmox. OMV5 will then be a VM (Debian10) with HDD passthrough.

Pros Proxmox (OMV as VM)

- Easy Backup of VM

- Proxmox Dashboard and Cluster

- PC could be used for other LXE/VM

Pros NO Proxmox (Debian and OMV)

- Autoshutdown plugin working

- Flash plugin working

- HDD Smart working

- HDD spindown working

Does anybody have any advice which is the better solution?

Any experience would be highly appreciated.

Best

• Offizieller Beitrag

You shouldn't run a desktop on either solution. Personally, I would install proxmox with an OMV VM and Debian/XFCE VM. Then connect to the XFCE VM with a simple device like an RPi.

If you want to shut it down, you don't want to use proxmox either. It is really meant to be a server and run 24/7

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• thanks for your fast reply...

As you see both solutions have its benefits but also downsides and I really don't know, which way to go. Currently I am running Debian 9 with LXCE and OMV (autoshutdown and WOL), which works like a charm and is a nice power efficient solution.

Is there a way to simple copy sections for the config.xml from OMV4 to OMV5 - eg. shared folders? or do I have to add it via GUI?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to simple copy sections for the config.xml from OMV4 to OMV5

Nope.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any simpler way to do that?

No. And I will mention again that you shouldn't run OMV with a desktop environment.

• Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

There are some explanations from TDL but I think it was for OMV4.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!