OMV 5 - Install ... Proxmox or Native?

• hi,

currently am running OMV4 on Debian 9 wit XFCE with autoshutdown and WOL - so no 24/7 standalone server. I am using the PC for simple office tasks as well.

since OMV5 was released, I want to upgrade to OMV5 with Debian 10.

Now I am wondering if should install Debian 10 with XFCE and OMV (as I have now) or should switch to Debian with XFCE and Proxmox. OMV5 will then be a VM (Debian10) with HDD passthrough.

Pros Proxmox (OMV as VM)

- Easy Backup of VM

- Proxmox Dashboard and Cluster

- PC could be used for other LXE/VM

Pros NO Proxmox (Debian and OMV)

- Autoshutdown plugin working

- Flash plugin working

- HDD Smart working

- HDD spindown working

Does anybody have any advice which is the better solution?

Any experience would be highly appreciated.

Best

• You shouldn't run a desktop on either solution. Personally, I would install proxmox with an OMV VM and Debian/XFCE VM. Then connect to the XFCE VM with a simple device like an RPi.

If you want to shut it down, you don't want to use proxmox either. It is really meant to be a server and run 24/7

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• thanks for your fast reply...

As you see both solutions have its benefits but also downsides and I really don't know, which way to go. Currently I am running Debian 9 with LXCE and OMV (autoshutdown and WOL), which works like a charm and is a nice power efficient solution.

Is there a way to simple copy sections for the config.xml from OMV4 to OMV5 - eg. shared folders? or do I have to add it via GUI?

Thanks!

• thx...

I will will go with an new debian 10 with XFCE and install OMV5 on top and then copy and paste via screenshots the config.

Any simpler way to do that?

• Any simpler way to do that?

No. And I will mention again that you shouldn't run OMV with a desktop environment.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!