Greyhole Manual Install Not Playing Nice - May not require a plugin

• In my opinion Greyhole is a wonderful storage pooling and drive level local redundancy tool. OMV, I gather, used to have a Greyhole plugin that is no longer developed or compatible with the latest versions of OMV.

Not to worry. GH has a manual install option and works very well on Debian.

Over the last few days getting to know OMV (which I love, and want to migrate to from Amahi). I got it working, but have noticed a few things that conflict. I wonder, rather than maintaining the plugin, if there was some way to address these issues, so at least a manual install of Greyhole persists in the background without getting its config borked.

I logged an issue here for Greyhole:

https://github.com/gboudreau/Greyhole/issues/228

The main issue is OMV is overwriting the samba config that GH requires to work. Namely...

[global]

unix extensions = no

wide links = yes

[share_name]

dfree command = /usr/bin/greyhole-dfree

vfs objects = greyhole

And since symlinks are not displaying on my samba shares after Greyhole distributes copies of files across different physical drives in the pool (i.e. Greyhole runs and files become unavailable over the network). Possibly some combination of...

[global]

allow insecure wide links = yes

[share]

follow symlinks = yes

wide links = yes

If OMV could have areas of samba config that don't get overwritten (I noticed it happens when creating or editing samba shares) a manual install of Greyhole may play nice, and not require plugin development. Alternatively, OMV might have a section for parameters that rewrite custom samba config back in should the config file have to be rewritten. Then custom GH config lines could be managed through the OMV GUI.

CPU i7-2600 | 11 GB RAM | Mobo Asus P8Z68-V LX | HP NC550SFP 10GbE 2-Port PCI-E-2.0x8 (SFP+ DAC) 802.3ad Bonding | US-16-XG + UDM Pro

• OMV 6.4.6-1 (Shaitan). Installed and booting via USB 3 SATA SSD
    • SAMBA shares, doubling as landing zone for Greyhole redundant storage pool file system service.
    • 3.25 Drives (in TB) - 1,1,1,0.3,2 - 2TB drive dedicated to Timemachine.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von square_eyes ()

• square_eyes

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Greyhole Manual Install Not Playing Nice“ zu „Greyhole Manual Install Not Playing Nice - May not require a plugin“ geändert.
  • If OMV could have areas of samba config that don't get overwritten......

This is what the Extra Options box in OMV's SMB/CIFS Advanced Settings section is for.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Oh awesome!

CPU i7-2600 | 11 GB RAM | Mobo Asus P8Z68-V LX | HP NC550SFP 10GbE 2-Port PCI-E-2.0x8 (SFP+ DAC) 802.3ad Bonding | US-16-XG + UDM Pro

• SAMBA shares, doubling as landing zone for Greyhole redundant storage pool file system service.
  • So in that section I set the below. But none of that exists in /etc/samba/smb.conf even after saving/applying and rebooting the machine...

[global]

unix extensions = no

wide links = yes

[photos]

vfs objects = greyhole

[videos]

vfs objects = greyhole

• I pasted your stuff into mine, hit save and apply, and it all wound up in my /etc/samba/smb.conf file.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• OK I see now after another save, they are written as separate sections. I presume samba will associate them correctly.

Screenshot attached for example...

Bilder

• Right. That stuff will be above OMV's shares, not at the bottom.

--

• Thanks so if, at the top

Code
    [global]
    unix extensions = yes

Then in "Extra options"

Code
    [global]
    unix extensions = no

It applies the latter?

• Never mind. Figured out you don't need the tags/headers.

Global extra options go in Settings, Extra Options. Share specific extra options go in Extra Options in the settings for each share.

Edit: Gah! The folder/share level extra option

vfs objects = greyhole

Breaks the share :/

They are inaccessible over the network until I remove those options in the GUI.

My whole samba config is here: https://github.com/gboudreau/G…28#issuecomment-613814693

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von square_eyes ()

• I have resolved my main issue of having OMV and Greyhole coexisting. Samba seems to be working fine in my playpen after reinstalling Greyhole. Greyhole is doing its thing and managing local redundant copies in my mounted greyhole shares. I'm very happy. Time to build prod :)

https://github.com/gboudreau/Greyhole/issues/228

• After reading this thread I assume that you have managed to get Greyhole working on your OMV. But I am but sure how you achieved this or if there is in fact anything special to do it avoid.

OMV + Greyhole seem to be just what fits my needs so I am really interested in learning if it is indeed possible to get them to play nice.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!