Nextcloud - install on same HDD as OMV/Debian OS?

• I am following this guide to install Nextcloud: [How-To] Nextcloud with Letsencrypt using OMV and docker-compose

And I only want to access it locally so I am making the modifications suggested in post #6 here: Need help to install Nextcloud with Docker and Portainer

I want to install NextCloud on the same drive as my Debian OS & OMV install. It's a 250GB HDD. So I would replace "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-disk1" with "/"

1) is this possible?

2) From what I understand my NextCloud install will be able to access files in all shared folders across all volumes - including shared folders on different volumes. Is that correct? Or does Nextcloud need a separate drive to be installed into and all Nextcloud files must only be kept in that single drive that Nextcloud is also installed on?

if (2) what is the minimum size of drive required? I currently have a 2GB drive connected to test with. It's acting as a dlna server for now but can be ereased to test with NextCloud. But is the capacity enough or do I need to attach a bigger drive?

The main use cases for Nextcloud are (for now) to serve as a cloud drive (on our own home network) and to start syncing my contacts and calendar locally rather than with Google.

At some point I would like to put it on the world wide web and use NextCloud Talk (VoIP video calls)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von penguin () aus folgendem Grund: Please move to the Docker forum, poster in Installation by mistake

• penguin

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

1) is this possible?

Yes, you can leave the docker base path and the other folder on the OS drive.

2) From what I understand my NextCloud install will be able to access files in all shared folders across all volumes - including shared folders on different volumes. Is that correct? Or does Nextcloud need a separate drive to be installed into and all Nextcloud files must only be kept in that single drive that Nextcloud is also installed on?

You need to install the "external storage" app. With that you access your SMB shares

if (2) what is the minimum size of drive required? I currently have a 2GB drive connected to test with. It's acting as a dlna server for now but can be ereased to test with NextCloud. But is the capacity enough or do I need to attach a bigger drive?

Nextcloud and MariaDB need around 600MB. So rest should be available for the content.

• Thank you Macom (for your answer and for authoring the tutorial I am following!).

Just to confirm point (1), does that mean that in the docker-compose.yml file i create I can replace "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-disk1" with "/" for it to install on the OS drive?

And in response to point (2), all of the apps titled "external storage" on NextCloud are created for use with a particular cloud backup system like oneDrive, Dropbox etc. https://apps.nextcloud.com/?search=external+storage Any ideas which specific app I need?

• Offizieller Beitrag

point(1): yes

point(2): if you search within Nexcloud in the App section in any category for "external" you will find the external storage app at the bottom of the page as app from other category; I have not found out in which category it is ;)

• That's great thank you. I encountered a few issues but found a solution - you can consider adding them as replies to your tutorial in case others run into them:

1) I couldn't access NextCloud admin set up at first but searched that it should be http*s*://192.168.X.X:450.

2) I got a failed to connect error - Access denied for user when trying to set up NextCloud via web interface. Apparently this is due to mariadb version. The advice in this thread resolved it! RE: Nextcloud with Letsencrypt using OMV and docker-compose - Q&A

• point(1): yes

point(2): if you search within Nexcloud in the App section in any category for "external" you will find the external storage app at the bottom of the page as app from other category; I have not found out in which category it is ;)

I have installed the plugin now but am having some trouble configuring NextCloud to access a share.

I set up the share with the Mini DLNA plugin following this guide: (https://www.htpcguides.com/ins…na-plugin-openmediavault/). It is working well, my DLNA clients can see and play the server files.

I've also set it up as a SMB share.

a) Is there anything else I need to do in OMV Admin or Portainer before I configure it in Nextcloud Admin?

b) And what are the configuration settings I should use when setting it up in NextCloud so it mounts and can be used?

• Offizieller Beitrag

a) Is there anything else I need to do in OMV Admin or Portainer before I configure it in Nextcloud Admin?

In OMV you need to use privileges to give your user read/write access to the shared folder.

Then you need to add the shared folder to the SMB service.

Enable the SMB service.

b) And what are the configuration settings I should use when setting it up in NextCloud so it mounts and can be used?

host: ip of you NAS

share: name of the share in OMV

remote subfolder: can be empty

Domain: can be empty

Username: name of the user that has access to the shared folder (privileges)

Password: password of the user

available for: select a user on your nextcloud system

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!