Transmission Openvpn Run Errors

• Sorry for late answers.

It works!!!

Thanks for the help.

I will investigate if the tun device was the problem, or not. Torrents download, but I can't find the Transmission settings: where are they?

I wanna copy my stats there.

• MISSION COMPLETED

After a long and painful journey in finding the solution, I found it:

Multiple LOCAL_NETWORKs could be added with e.g. LOCAL_NETWORK=192.168.0.0/24 10.8.0.0/24 (separated with spaces).

New, better UI could be applied with TRANSMISSION_WEB_UI=transmission-web-control

If somewhy it doesn't work just stop your VPN Server with systemctl stop openvpn@server. Then start the container/stack. In the end, you can use systemctl status openvpn@server to check or systemctl start openvpn@server to start VPN Server again. (Exit with q)

Anyone can use this config, just please, customize it before running! I have several options, ports reconfigured and your IP address may be different.

Special thanks for sabamimi who helped me even when I was silly. Some parts of this code belongs to them.

P.S: Use stacks, they're cool.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von matefon () aus folgendem Grund: thread close

• matefon

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • matefon

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Transmission Openvpn Run Errors“ zu „Transmission Openvpn Run Errors *solved*“ geändert.
  • But one last question:

If proxy is disabled in the stack, does the VPN work? (Is my IP address hidden?)

You really, really need to be running a torrent that tells you what IP address is being seen by the trackers. There are a few of these, here is one.

Code
    https://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipaddress.php

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you!

Using a plug-in in Firefox called Torrent Control I could add the magnet link to Transmission by right-clicking then selecting Torrent Control --> Add torrent.

VPN is working (Proxy is disabled).

Note: Transmission will show and error but it's okay, just go back to https://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipaddress.php and you will see your IP.

• New problem ahead:

Transmission doesn't download nor upload torrents.

Portainer shows "Healthy" put ping is

PING google.com (216.58.214.238) 56(84) bytes of data. --- google.com ping statistics --- 1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms Network is down

HELP

Stack:

• matefon

Hat das Label gelöst entfernt.
  • matefon

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Transmission Openvpn Run Errors *solved*“ zu „Transmission Openvpn Run Errors“ geändert.
  • OK, then it is because of the VPN does not support port forwarding

(most VPN do not.....)

....But it is not the end :)

You can still seed and download with the Torrent software (transmission in our case) port closed but you need an active peer to initiate the "conversation"

(so you have less peers)

Note : you can check the port status in the transmission web interface

the full explanation is the following:

YES, you can seed with closed port too.

• If the port is closed that only means you can't accept incoming connections, but you can still connect to peers who accept connections. In torrent terminology they say that you are in passive mode.
    • If your port would be open then you would be able to accept connections too. In torrent terminology this is called active mode.

So it works like this: A client in passive mode can connect to a client which is in active mode, but not to a client which is in passive mode. A client in active mode can connect to both active and passive clients.

So if your port is closed that only means you can't connect to other peers with closed ports. That means that you may get less peers and because of that worse speed. But if the torrent is frequent and there are lot of peers your client will likely be able to find enough active peers to max out your connection. If the torrent has few peers then it is likely that with active mode you would get much better speed. (If that rare case happens that all the peers are in passive mode, then you won't be able to download/upload anything. Actually non of the peers would be able to do anything as everyone is passive, you will have to wait until an active peer comes in.)

https://askubuntu.com/question…-but-seeding-is-happening

You can try:

- changing torrent source

and also (sometime helped me):

- restarting the container

- changing the VPN server in the configuration (- OPENVPN_CONFIG=)

good luck !

• So, what should I do?

You have to ask your VPN service provider if they support port forwarding, and if so to enable it for you or tell you where and how on their web site you can enable it yourself.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!