CUPS Docker and avoid DNS-SD when adding printer

• Hi everyone. I've got Docker CUPS installed, and trying to configure it with a Samsung network printer.

I'd report you all a problem: when adding the printer, which is soon find through WSD protocol. Procedure goes good actually, but when I'mprinting a test page cups warns me: "can't locate printer "SEC001599D24573.local" ". Appearently that seems something about DNS-SD and Avahi, but I'm not an Avahi expert or, worst, I coulb be completely out of the way.

For further info, from where I derived DNS "fault": https://wiki.archlinux.org/ind…#Unable_to_locate_printer

I'm running OMV5 (5.3.10-1), docker 19.03.8, and got CUPS from there (--> olbat/cupsd)

Anybody's got ideas?

duffr

OMV 5.x & OMV extras on NanoPi Neo 2

OMV 5.x & OMV extras on x64 (AMD) custom build

• Finally I solved the problem: I was wrong to follow the CUPS wizard, because it's recommended for a printer connected via USB, while my Samsung ML3310ND printer is connected to the network, with an Ethernet cable.

I went for the manual configuration, setting up my printer with LPR/LPD protocol and finally getting it controllable, at least for printing test pages from the CUPS Web GUI. I also tried RAW (aka Jetdirect), with the same results.

I managed to share the printer over the network, but I can't see it from the Windows computers on the network. It's actually a non-problem because I can do as before without CUPS.

Summary: Use time on CUPS only if you have a USB printer or if you have a very small amount of memory for local spooling.

duffr

OMV 5.x & OMV extras on NanoPi Neo 2

OMV 5.x & OMV extras on x64 (AMD) custom build

• duffr

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • duffr

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • duffr

Hat den Titel des Themas von „CUPS Docker and DNS Service Discovery interference“ zu „CUPS Docker and avoid DNS-SD when adding printer“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!