Using Symlink for /sharedfolders/ directory?

• Hi, I understand that the /sharedfolders/ directory will not be available for new installations of OMV 5.x (unless I turn on the flag which I am trying to avoid).

Can I use symlinks instead? Idea is to turn that directory into a symlink to the actual /srv/ directories

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi, I understand that the /sharedfolders/ directory will not be available for new installations of OMV 5.x (unless I turn on the flag which I am trying to avoid).

Can I use symlinks instead? Idea is to turn that directory into a symlink to the actual /srv/ directories

Yes, I think it is possible. But I haven't tested it yet.

Why don't you test it and see if it works? Please report any findings back here. ;)

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Code
    Hi,

I think there is a variable in the file /etc/default/openmediavault named OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED which has to be set to = "YES" to activate the sharedfolders.

greetings

That's the flag I was referring to and I do not want to use that as it seems that there are very good reasons why this feature is deprecated

Yes, I think it is possible. But I haven't tested it yet.

Why don't you test it and see if it works? Please report any findings back here. ;)

I just want to know if my theory is sound before I go test it; no sense in testing out something if its theory is wrong. ;)

I might take a while though; things are quite hectic recently

Hi,

i don't know why I have to test it for you and you can`t try it out by yourself, but I did it once and it works.

greetings

Thanks for the confirmation. Though you may want to rephrase things a little lest you come across as being hostile/rude

• Yes I tried this when moving from OMV 4 to 5 and it works.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• Hi,

i`m sorry, I didn`t want to be rude. I was just wondering why I schould try it and they didn't want to try it for themselves.

all the best and no offense

It's not that I don't want to try, it's that I can't try it right now (am still making more space in my HDD so that I can spin up a test VM).

In fact, not everyone has the time/skill to test things out and some may simply want to confirm before testing so that they know if they are the ones making mistakes or if it turns out to be a known issue that needs to be fixed at the code level.

Making assumptions about others and phrasing things like this isn't going to earn you brownie points anywhere

Yes I tried this when moving from OMV 4 to 5 and it works.

Thanks! When you say you moved from OMV 4 to 5, is that an upgrade install over an exisiting OMV setup, or is that a new install?

• My inplace upgrade failed so I did a fresh install. I moved my Dockers to the new install and used symlinks to ensure the Docker installs (Jellyfin being the main one) did not fail and it worked fine. I have since changed the symlinks to the new paths to maintian consistency for possible future upgrades.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!