plex config and transcode volumes question

• hello,

I am running a UnionFS on my 3 data HDD's. OMV is installed on a 320GB SSD.

I read that the config and transcode volume can't be in the UnionFS.

Can I point the /config portainer folder to /config/plex on the root of my host? Or will it cause problems? Maybe with permissions? Since I don't (and can't) set anything on the boot drive up as a shared folder.

Is it a better idea to create a seperate partition on the SDD?

• To answer my own question: It does work.

Still not sure if it's a good idea. But I am geussing yes, because transcoding could benefit from the speed advantage of the SSD?

• It depends on the size of your rootfs partition and how you use Plex. If your roofs drive is small and your media collection large or you enable preview images in Plex then you will eventually wind up joining the club of users whose rootfs has filled up, breaking many things in OMV.

Transcoding speed is a non issue. It needs to happen fast enough for the media to play in real time without buffering. Drive speed is not an issue here, it's CPU horsepower that matters.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• 200GB for the rootfs is wasteful, but it's yours to waste. I run OMV on a 16GB SSD in an external USB case that after five years of OMV use is barely half full.

Once upon a time I used to have Plex generate preview images. When the database grew to over 220GB I decided I didn't really need the feature and deleted the images.

Using Gparted to shrink partitions and create new ones will work fine. I recommend you have a known to be restorable backup of your rootfs drive before playing with it like that though. I don't run swap here so I don't have a swap partition.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• 200GB for the rootfs is wasteful, but it's yours to waste. I run OMV on a 16GB SSD in an external USB case that after five years of OMV use is barely half full.

I know... I built this system with the smallest M.2 drive I could purchase. I figured I'd find some use for it later. I also considered moving the rootfs to a USB stick. I opened a topic for this a couple of months ago. But then decided it didn't matter for now.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the preview images.

Grtz

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!