After Upgrade to OMV 5.4.0-1 Wake on LAN does not work anymore, when putting System to sleep mode by autoshutdown plugin or manually

• I have upgraded from OMV 3.x to 5.4.0-1 (clean install, no migration) and manually reconfigured all plugins, I use.

I use autoshutdown plugin to put the system to sleep, when not in use and wake it by sending a WOL package from my connecting Windows system, when needed (wol command within login script).

With OMV 3.x this worked perfectly, after installation of 5.4.0-1 the system goes to sleep mode, as configured within autoshutdown plugin, but when I send the WOL package, it does not come up again.

For sending the WOL package I use the Windows tool wol.exe, sending the package via the broadcast address in my private class c subnet on port 7

Message from tool, when executing: "Wake On Lan signal sent to Mac Address 305a3a7f85c1 via Broadcast Address 192.168.178.255 on port 7"

I already double-checked teh following:

- networkinterface is definitely WOL enabled in OMV configuration

- no MAC Adresee change, etc. (same HW)

- no accidentally BIOS setting change (there is no option to enable/disable Ethernet Interface HW WOL settings in my ASUS BIOS)

- updated all OMV packkages to latest available versions via updatemgmt in case a NIC driver would not accept the WOL package

Anyone got an idea, what could be wrong?

Thnks in advance for any hints

• Try port 9 instead of 7.

If you have an Android, I can recommend the app I currently use for WOL. This app also "discovers" the server, so you don't have to enter any MAC/IP manually.

Also try to put the server on standby manually and not using the plugin, see if there's a difference.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• There is no difference in behaviour, if I put it on suspend to RAM or hibernate, no matter, if manual or by the script and it does not matter, if I try to wake it up with whatever wol tool (Windows or Android), I tried both.

But giving it some more research I discovered the following issue:

I checked the eth interface status directly on linux shell level with ethtool as root and found out, that the interface was wol disabled
    (Interface status: wol d )
    although the network interface setting in OMV admin WebGUI shows wol=yes.

I tried teh following as a workaround:

When I create a wol.service to be started (executing "/sbin/ethtool -s <my_eth_interface_name> wol g") as oneshot by sysd, when System starts up, it works perfectly, because now the network interface gets always wol enabled by sysd running this during system startup.

I used below native wol.service definition to create the startup wol.service:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

[UNIT]

Description=Configure Wake-up on LAN

[Service]

Type=oneshot

ExecStart=/sbin/ethtool -s <my_eth_interface_name> wol g

[Install]

WantedBy=basic.target

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering, why there is status wol = disabled on debian level, when the interface configuration is set to wol=yes in the admin GUI of OMV:(...

My solution seems only to be a workaround outside of the OMV controls.

Maybe one of the forum moderaters can take this to verify, if there might be an issue with network interface wol configuration in OMV 5.4.0-1

I'll keep that workaround so far, as this solves my problem, even if this is not integrated in OMV controls.

• I think you are facing a bug of some kind. In my system I enabled WOL just by enabling it in the interface section.

my output of ethtool:

Code
    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
    Wake-on: g

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Hello,

I have the same problem. Even if I activate WLAN in the WebGUI, it remains from Ethtool Wack-on: d

I've also done an omv-firstaid, unfortunately without success.

if I activate wake-on with ethtool -s it works once, but after restart it is back on wake-on: d

I have a Realtek onboard NIC.

more suggestions?

greetings

• I can also confirm, that after activating of Wake-On-Lan in GUI of OMV, the "Wake-on" attribute stays on "d":

If I activate if manually, with:

Code
    # ethtool -s enp3s0 wol g

and then I deactivate it in GUI of OMV, "Wake-on" stays still on "g".

The Wake-On-Lan switch in GUI of OMV seems to have absolutely no impact on this setting, neither by activating nor by deactivating.

OMV version: 5.4.2-1

• does anyone know how to update an entry manually instead of using omv-firstaid. omv-firstaid works for me with one NIC but I had a bond setup and the WOL wasn't working with that. If I could create the bond again and then update whatever is being updated with omv-firstaid for my bond.

thanks

• anyone have any ideas on this. I want to create my bond again but I know it will make my wake on lan not work

thanks

this is my output but not sure why I'm not showing wake on lan in that. It is selected in the GUI

root@OMV:~# ethtool bond0

Settings for bond0:

Supported ports: [ ]

Supported link modes: Not reported

Supported pause frame use: No

Supports auto-negotiation: No

Supported FEC modes: Not reported

Advertised link modes: Not reported

Advertised pause frame use: No

Advertised auto-negotiation: No

Advertised FEC modes: Not reported

Speed: 2000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: Other

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: off

Link detected: yes

root@OMV:~#

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!