OMV 5 - So Confused

• You can use the command line but can't run the following?

docker run --name sabnzbd -v <datadir path>:/datadir -v <media path>:/media -p 8080:8080 --restart=unless-stopped sabnzbd/sabnzbd

It will run for years and years and survive OS upgrades MUCH better.

Far less resources... If a few megs of disk bothers, you shouldn't upgrade versions of WIndows either.

Sure I can run that command, however I don't have a clue what it is doing or what any of the command-line options/paths are referring to - so when it breaks I won't have a clue how to fix it. Where does it live in my file system? Where does it log to? Also, that command does not result in a fully-functioning and configured sabnzbd service. Still way easier (for me) to just install sabnzbd, edit the config file and restart the service.

I don't use Windows.

• Offizieller Beitrag

he problem is that OMV doesn't have enough documentation nor its code base is easy to read and understand. In addition to that, anyone who wants to do anything is simply left on their own, because "you're supposed to learn the ways around like the rest of the old folks did". While I understand that it's mostly a time problem, everyone is doing this in their own free time, but using it as an excuse won't lead to anything other than stagnation. You can write as many explanations and excuses as you want, but it doesn't matter - it's just a fact, and the number of recent contributions from people other than the longtimers is the best argument supporting that. What this project needs is an easy way for developers to get to know project's internals, its mechanisms and flows. OMV is pretty complicated, so the easier this onboarding process is, the more developers will be willing to help.

I agree. I will be the first to say I don't have time to do more than I am doing. Do you have a solution or idea for any of these problems? I don't know how to fix the chicken and egg problem of we need more devs but we need more docs to get devs.

There's also a big problem of no clear path about release management, future plans, how bugs and tasks are managed, etc. Maybe if you dig deep enough into this forum, you'll be lucky to find anything meaningful by accident.

I know about them when they are released just like you.

or example, the migration process from v4 to v5, even though it's not official, should have been extracted into a separate, highly visible article a long time ago. Instead, people still ask about it and are still being redirected there once someone is kind enough to share a link.

Upgrades from 4 to 5 are not supported (not my decision). That is why there is no omv-release-upgrade or an official post on how to do it like previous versions. I came up with a process that works ok but I'm not making it a front and center post because I would rather people not do it.

Not to mention that people pointing out certain problems are being left with dubious and unfriendly answers (like the recent banter related to OMV 5's release notes or something similar to that). And don't get me wrong, I don't mean that everyone should love each other and barf rainbows, I'm simply saying that snarky answers to legitimate questions will drive people away

I will admit I have little patience for nitpicking. If I am preventing the project from growing by my actions, I would gladly hand over the work to someone else.

Again, you can say all you want about this project being available for free, that authors are not responsible for anything and so on as so forth, but at the end of the day, it's just a waste of everybody's time - people will get mad, you'll get mad and nothing will get fixed or developed. I'm pretty sure that some people will see this post in the same way.

Is it really that bad? Every solution seems to point to "spend more time and fix everything".

As for the mentioned REST API. I'm sure it won't be the "next big thing" in the plugins development process, but I believe that it's existence and the related refactor might be really beneficial to the codebase. It might clear it up a bit and make certain things much simpler than they are now. For example, the ZFS plugin uses certain built-in methods of the OMV itself. Having a REST API with good enough documentation, or even a well-documented service related to a specific endpoint, could help to make certain things easier for plugin developers. In addition to that, any UI-only plugin could potentially be developed in separation from the backend's code; or maybe some statistics-related plugins could consume these API endpoints on their own, living completely outside of the OMV's lifecycle as stand-alone services based on docker... who knows what fantastic ideas are being held back by the lack of a legitimate and easy to use interface.

I really like that idea.

However, that's not why I brought it up. I've mentioned it as an example of an initiative being developed "in the shadows" - there's no way of knowing what is its current development status, what's the plan, what's left to do or even how can anyone help with developing it.

I'm in the same boat about 99% percent of the time. But people can develop against the stable version. You don't have to develop against what's next.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Start developing or contributing to the project does not mean you need to know how the whole system works. If there is a problem you can digg into it and try to fix it. To do that it is NOT necessary to code a single line, simply find out what is going wrong, check the service config files, try to manually fix it, test it and open a bug report with a detailed description what is going wrong and how to fix it. The code to finally fix that can be done by someone else with deeper knowledge. But do you know how often this happens? ZERO times. No help from the community. Nothing. Only complaining that feature x or y is not working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And don't tell me that it is not possible to get familar with OMV without huge docs. Most of the knowledge is written down in the code as comments or function method description. And isn't it the best way to get familar with a code base when you read it?

One of the positiv contributions in the past (maybe years) was this: https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/pull/661

This PR shows that it is possible if you WANT it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Instead of getting mad at me and immediatelly attacking me

I really don't attack anyone. This was a neutral analyses of the current situation.

And you're right. The documentation lacks, but this is the chicken egg problem. And i'm not a good docu writer, so someone else must do that. Maybe someone who gets familar with the code and can write down his experiences.

• For everyone that has done work for this project it is not a full time job, and they work tirelessly for no pay. There is not enough manpower to document everything. And the fluidity of the coding would require endless editing of any documentation. With the available resources, time is better spent coding than editing documentation. Like it or not, that is the reality of the situation.

It is the same with the plugins, lack of resources/time. Many users will be hurt by the reliance on Docker (Portainer). You can see from watching a few of TDL's videos how many configuration issues will not be clear. I'm not implying anything negative about the videos. Just because you get a service up and running does not mean it will be configured correctly for your use. It's kind of like using virtual appliances. The plugins didn't address every configuration issue either. I think most plugins were easier/faster to setup for the end user though.

Best wishes to everyone and be safe! Wear something over your nose and mouth! Anything is better than nothing!

• Now that I have followed this thread, I would like to comment on it again.

If I am preventing the project from growing by my actions, I would gladly hand over the work to someone else.

No one is going to seriously claim that.

Somewhat shortened, the main burden of development and support of OMV lies in the hands of fewer people: mainly Volker and Aaron. Of course, the forum and all moderators also help, but the main burden lies on the two.

That is why I think it is a good way for Volker to concentrate on a stable basic system and to outsource all extensions mainly to Docker, so that there are fewer conflicts between OMV and the extensions. Even if this makes the overall system more complex.

Perhaps this will eventually provide the possibility to save and restore the current configuration of OMV. A function that is really often in demand here in the forum.

Just my humble opinion.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are pros and cons to docker and plugins. Using docker also allows support from many other places. I have seen many, many times that the author of service would like to help but doesn't know how the plugin works. If you are using their docker, they know exactly how to help. Unraid moved most of their "plugins" to docker and people love it. Not sure why it is so terrible here.

The funniest thing is that the plugin people miss the most is the docker plugin since they don't like the change to portainer. But lets look at the list of plugins not ported to OMV 5 and the reason why: The downloader plugins aren't included because they weren't ported to OMV 4.x, belong in a docker since most (if not all) of them need dependencies newer than Debian has in the repos, and most were just frontends for the downloader's web interface

openmediavault-calibre - never ported to OMV 4. couldn't get the plugin to work with calibre3. bad to stay on old version.

openmediavault-cups - version of cups in debian repo lacking features, plugin pain to maintain due to custom extjs stuff, most people have network printers

openmediavault-dnsmasq - pihole is what most people want and it is better installed in a docker.

openmediavault-docker-gui - plugin features falling behind including no docker-compose, portainer very good and maintained by lots of people

openmediavault-domoticz - debian OS dependencies not up to date enough, just a redirector to own web interface

openmediavault-duplicati - just a redirector to own web interface

openmediavault-emby - just a redirector to own web interface, debian OS dependencies frequently behind, lots of OS dependencies that added cruft to host

openmediavault-letsencrypt - debian OS dependencies behind

openmediavault-mysql - version in Debian repo usually behind or different than wanted, plugin didn't have options needed, wanted different admin web interface (instead of mywebsql)

openmediavault-nginx - version in Debian repo usually behind, version of php behind, bad user settings would break OMV web interface

openmediavault-plexmediaserver - plugin terrible, just a redirector to own web interface

openmediavault-pxe - relied on dnsmasq plugin

openmediavault-remotedesktop - version in Debian repo frequently broken, recommend danielguerra/ubuntu-xrdp image)

openmediavault-shellinabox - cockpit has better web terminal and can be installed by omv-extras

openmediavault-syncthing - plugin not flexible enough, frequent syncthing repo issues

openmediavault-urbackup-server - plugin just a redirector to own web interface

openmediavault-virtualbox - virtualbox isn't available from Debian 10 repo, phpvirtualbox isn't maintained, breaks often when new kernel version released

openmediavault-webdav- plugin not flexible enough, version of sabredav behind in debian repos.

So, if someone can come up with a good reason it should be ported to OMV instead of being run in a docker after the reasons I just gave, I will consider porting it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I am happy to report that I took the advice early on in the thread to get OMV4 while it is still available.

My expectations for OMV have been lowered through this experience and that is a good thing. To me, I will simply think of OMV as a good general purpose Linux server implementation with a decent webGUI and some good essentials built in. I'll install, configure and manage the "extras" myself.

Last step is to decommission the trusty Stone Burner installation and re-purpose the drives.

• If I can say something about this, I'll start by saying that my knowledge of coding is kinda bad, however I never really had any problem to understand how docker and portainer works. I spent a couple of hours on tutorials in the net and after that, it was kinda easy to setup plugins I needed (Plex and Transmission mainly).

While I do understand op's point of view, I'd like to add that OMV is perfect for those who want a light, always working (debian means stable after all) NAS at home.

If you know a bit how linux works you can really do anything, Personally I prefer docker over plugins mantainance as well, because of more support and I find them more stable (god knows what plex plugin was in omv4...) .

I hope you'll change your mind about omv5.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am happy to report that I took the advice early on in the thread to get OMV4 while it is still available.

My expectations for OMV have been lowered through this experience and that is a good thing. To me, I will simply think of OMV as a good general purpose Linux server implementation with a decent webGUI and some good essentials built in. I'll install, configure and manage the "extras" myself.

Last step is to decommission the trusty Stone Burner installation and re-purpose the drives.

I find it crazy you find installing software on a server the "normal" way easy, yet you find docker and/or portainer, so confusing? I'm not so sure if your expectations of OMV should be lower, but your ability to adapt is.

When I first started with docker (probably about a year ago).. I just put OMV in a virtual machine and started practicing... reading tutorials, watching videos, etc. Probably within a few hours, I had a pretty good understanding over it and could install basic containers (linuxserver, and a few others) w/o issue. More reading and a few days.. and I was able to install some more complex containers. When I heard the docker-plugin was going away... I did the same thing and installed portainer. Portainer is very easy if you've spent any time with the docker plugin.. it should make sense to you in little time (but portainer is considerably better)... then you start getting into how to deploy containers with docker-compose/docker-run.. I can set up my whole server in about an hour from scratch, because I have a bunch of docker-compose files backed up.

• ... in tutte queste parole dedicate allo sviluppo di OMV io mi domando come è possibile che ci sia solo TDL a pubblicare video tutorial di OMV5 su youtube. TDL è sicuramente bravo ma avrebbe bisogno di aiuto anche per rispondere a qualche domanda semplice. Ad esempio, io ho OMV5 con docker, portainer, nextcloudpi, e tutto funziona benissimo, ma non riesco a trovare un aiuto per utilizzare webdav. Qualcuno riesce a darmi un consiglio ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!