first time on the forum, first post, requesting for some help.
I am running an OMV setup on a HP Proliant DL380 G6 with a dual Xeon L5640 2.27Ghz, 36GB of RAM, with 3 volumes :
- 4 x 2.5" SAS 15K RPM 300GB in hardware RAID6 for the system as /dev/sda1 (HP RAID P420 couldn't be setup as JBOD)
- 4 x 2.5" SAS 10K RPM 600GB in hardware RAID10 for a data storage as /dev/sdb1 (Still the HP RAID P420 without JBOD)
- 12 x 3.5" SAS 7.2K RPM 2TB in software RAID6 for an additional data storage as /dev/md0 (using one drive as a spare) running through a HP P822 in JBOD and an external HP StorageWorks connected with a SAS cable to the main server. (by the way, a second one is ready to get installed and extend the current /dev/md0)
I was running a OMV4 setup without any issue and when i saw the end of support in June, decided to move to OMV 5 using the video from technodadlife and the useful links he provided to the forum as guide, and so :
- i removed some plugins (urbackup, nuts-ups, openvpn, shellinabox, and maybe some other i forgot) manually from the web interface first, and then went through the procedure described here : RE: OMV 5.0 - finally out! :-) and all was working after the update with OMV 5 shown in the web interface.
Then i started to look to my config and restart some old stuff i had, and notice some issues in some menu of the WebUI, like the "SMART" menu for the hard drives, throwing me an error each time i go into and the same kind of issue with the nuts UPS plugin i reinstalled and never were able to get work.
Besides that, i installed docker and portainer without a hickup, and i have access to the Portainer WebUI.
From there on, i restarted to install all my docker containers i am using :
- pihole (pihole/pihole)
- cloudflare DNS over HTTPS (crazymax/cloudflared)
- plex (linuxserver/plex)
- heimdall (linuxserver/heimdall)
- letsencrypt (linuxserver/letsencrypt)
- deluge (linuxserver/deluge)
- mariadb (linuxserver/mariadb)
- nextcloud (linuxserver/nextcloud)
all dockers running smoothly, without any issue, starting in a blink of an eye ... except for pihole. It was running without a problem at the beginning of my OMV 5 switch, but while searching a solution for the "SMART" and Nuts UPS menu issue i has in the web page, i found a post on a forum saying that we shouldn't use "/sharedfolders/..." as volume bind for a docker, but "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-...." and this fixed the issue for the guy having a similar problem to access the OMV web interface share page in his case. I said ok, let's change this and see what happens ... and since i did it, my pihole gives me headhache. Sometimes it starts, sometimes not, when it does start, randomly it slows down the server like hell without i see any CPU consumption or huge RAM usage. I tried to delete the image, restart from scratch, load an older image, delete the config files and folder, restart from scratch, nothing works, that's the most common log output i see in portainer when it is completely failing to start :
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.,
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.,
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...,
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: applying... ,
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: exited 0.,
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...,
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: executing... ,
::: Starting docker specific checks & setup for docker pihole/pihole,
WARNING Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf: Two DNS servers are recommended, 127.0.0.1 and any backup server,
WARNING Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf: Primary DNS should be 127.0.0.1 (found 127.0.0.11),
[i] Existing PHP installation detected : PHP version 7.0.33-0+deb9u7,
[i] Installing configs from /etc/.pihole...,
[i] Existing dnsmasq.conf found... it is not a Pi-hole file, leaving alone!,
and then, nothing happens.
Sometimes (especially if i restart the complete server), it comes up, i can access the web interface, but it is slow like hell, all DNS queries aren't resolved, well, it is a mess. even in the folder where the files are stored, i see everything going slow like hell in updating the files. And when the failure happens (most of the time if i do any change in the web interface), it starts to run slow and even slow down my network shares and so on, and the only thing i can do is restart the whole server.
The point is, i don't know where to start look at and some help would be appreciated.
My OMV 5 DNS configuration is set to the router, so i don't run into issue while the docker isn't started yet. Only my DHCP pool is giving the DNS IP of the pihole docker to all the clients.
I also tried without cloudflare DNS over HTTPS method, doesn't change anything.
There is my current config.
thank you all for your help.