OMV 5 - network configuration - manual or via OMV ?

• Hello,

I am trying to figure out when I should use OMV (via the OMV GUI) to configure the network vs when I should do network configuration manually (by editing the network config files manually (/etc/systemd/networkd/)

As I noticed the latest update brought netplan in the picture, I started looking closer at the network config on my OMV server.

My server has a single ethernet port, and I use it as a bridge in order to give network access to some VMs (br0 backed by the ethernet port, IP address is put on br0)

My OMV installation is a base Debian 10.1 install + OMV 5 installed on top (if that matters)

My initial network configuration was done via /etc/network/interfaces, then I migrated to systemd-networkd instead and it works fine.

So I basically have 3 files in /etc/systemd/networkd/ to configure my network:

- 1 that define the bridge

- 1 that link the bridge to the ethernet port

- and 1 that put the IP address on the bridge (via DHCP)

So currently, my network is configured manually, not via the OMV GUI.

So I was wondering : can I do that network configuration via OMV ? should I ?

When I check in the GUI, I do not see anything about bridge configuration.

Finally, because I am not doing the network configuration via OMV currently, netplan is not being used, even though it got installed with the last OMV update.

So with netplan, when doing the configuration manually, should I configure the netplan configuration files now instead of networkd-systemd ?

I would appreciate some guidance or comments from other users and devs about what is best practice for a case like mine ?

Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can keep the systemd-networkd configuration. But if you like the simplicity of netplan.io then you can write your own yaml file in /etc/netplan for your bridge.

• So I was wondering : can I do that network configuration via OMV ? should I ?

When I check in the GUI, I do not see anything about bridge configuration.

I have a similar configuration to you for a long time, I also have no entries in the omv GUI but everything works perfectly.

I configured my network with nmtui (network manager), here the Dokumentation for Armbian.

cheers!

[LibreELEC @ 2x RPi3, CoreELEC @ S12 Octa Core]

[ NAS OMV 5.xx (Usul) @ NanoPI M4 ]

[ Nextcloud 18.0.4 @ ODROID C2 ]

[ Motioneye @ RPi4]

• You can keep the systemd-networkd configuration. But if you like the simplicity of netplan.io then you can write your own yaml file in /etc/netplan for your bridge.

Ok, no problem I may do that, it sounds like a good idea.

So I understand that for network configuration like mine (or similar), the way to go is to do it manually and ignore the network configuration in the OMV GUI.

And I have no problem with that :) I just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!