Problem with metadata files being remotely deleted on MergerFS / UnionFS drive pool.

• I run Medusa (a TV downloader) on a Chinese NUC clone running Ubuntu server and it copies new media files over to pooled NFS shares on my NAS (specs below) and generates metadata files on the fly. Been doing it this way for years, firstly on QNAP and later OMV4 and now OMV 5.

Recently Medusa started to delete a whole folder's metadata files but it left the media files intact. No big deal they can be recoveded by SnapRAID or recreated with Tiny Media Manager. I can't say with certainty but I think this started when I moved to OMV 5 - does this version handle NFS shares and/or MergerFS drive pool mounts any differently?

I posted in the Medusa Github forum: https://github.com/pymedusa/Medusa/issues/8022.

Advice - if Medusa does not see the media files it deletes the related metadata files.

NFS shares were thought the culprit and I was referred to this article: https://stackoverflow.com/ques…irectory-file-that-exists

Naturally I'd like to prevent this - any ideas?

John

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von johnvick ()

• johnvick

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Problem with metedata files being remotely deleted on MergerFS / UnionFS drive pool.“ zu „Problem with metadata files being remotely deleted on MergerFS / UnionFS drive pool.“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I doubt it is NFS.

More likely you have permission issues and/or problems with the mergerfs pool.

I recently had some strange issues with some drives with existing data that I pooled. Also accessed over NFS. Files not found or duplicated. Or locked.

I fixed it by:

1. Running resetperms on each shared folder that was part of the pool.

2. Running resetperms on the pool.

3. Running mergerfs.fsck -f newest on the pool.

https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs-tools

After that everything worked fine.

• Thanks for the input - the shares in question need to be rw for the device running Medusa. I have them 777 as this was the only way I could get it working.

I'll try your suggestions and report back.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Make sure to run Medusa as a user that also exist on the OMV server. Uid (and gid?) must match. Make that user a member of the group users on the OMV server.

I always create a new user account for this purpose as the first account directly after installation of a Linux box. Then that user will have the same uid and gid on all boxes. And they can all talk nfs to each other freely. You can change uid and gid later. But it is cludgy to say the least...

I had to do it on a RPi4, because the first user created there was the useless pi user. I added another user, member of sudo and ssh, then I could delete the pi user and create another user and give that user the right uid and gid to talk nfs with all the other boxes.

• OK that's all taken care of by virtue of the fact the first user on each device was john.

Testing so far looks OK but I'll need to wait a day or two until Medusa has done its background stuff to see if the problem is fixed.

Thanks again for your help.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von johnvick ()

• Three days later and no recurrence of this problem so looking like you tips were correct Adoby - thanks again.

John

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!