SOLVED: Samba speed so slow. History one of not a software problem.

• I use OMV from 2.x till atm.

My NAS configuration: AMD C60 + 8GB RAM + 4x2TB (RAID5) + 2x4TB(mirror)+SSD_32GB(system)+Gigabit ethernet

1 week ago I was upgrade my NAS from latest OMV 4 to OMV5.4.2 for get posiibillity to get updates.

In my home net live several devices with windows 7, android and with linux onboard.

After upgrade process samba speed was decreased. Write speed was before upgrading: 60-70MB/s, after 7-10MB/s, reading speed was 70-90MB/s, after 12-17MB/s

Any my changes in special options in samba/CIFS setup in OMV have no success. Differents speed after changes +/-2MB/s

O'cource before maked changes in special options I was read topics about samba speed tuning here, but it have no results.

Yesterday I was reinstall OMV5.4.2 on my NAS. And Samba speed stay so slow.

Please heeeeeelp, I think it can linked with samba version, but I possible have mistake with that. I have no any changes in my net, only OMV version changed.

• That's weird. What SMB options are you using?

What is the CPU % usage when transferring files? Also makes these tests with a large file (>2GB) if possible.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Check all interfaces are linked to 1000 Mbps.

Check server CPU utilization when copying the file.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• Samba params at the moment (Part1):

• Part2:

• Ethernet interface:

• Check all interfaces are linked to 1000 Mbps.

Check server CPU utilization when copying the file.

2auanasgheps: Damn! You're right!!!! Problem was not with OMV server!!!

I'm reread yours post and was try to check cable from my test PC - damn - net card of my test PC set speed to 100Mbit/s - I don't how it - but it is fact. After changed patchcord all seems OK - samba write speed between 60-75MB/s - as was before upgrading.

Thank you so much!

• pentagrammer

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • pentagrammer

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • pentagrammer

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Latest OMV4.x -> OMV5.x: Samba speed so slow“ zu „SOLVED: Samba speed so slow. History one of not a software problem.“ geändert.
  • Great to know the fix was easy. Ethernet isn't perfect: sometimes is the cable sometimes the plug. Happened to everybody, me included.

I had the suspect the issue could have been the connection because the speed was not a "random" value but capped to <10 MB/s.

I am also confident you could get higher speeds: the CPU is moderately used during a transfer, but things could be better. How's doing the CPU when transferring at 70 MB/s?

• System loads when copiing on OMV server file 6.5GB with via gigabit ethernet with speed 65-72MB/sec

Htop1: 15506-screenshot-138-png

Htop2: 15507-screenshot-137-png

OMV CPU LOAD: 15505-screenshot-139-png

OMV Memory Usage: 15504-screenshot-140-png

OMV Ethernet Interface: 15503-screenshot-141-png

OMV Load Average: 15502-screenshot-142-png

As we can see - CPU on internal gigabit ethernet not enought. I guess internal gigabit put huge load on CPU. May be intel net card would be better results, but I can't check - I haven't empty PCI-ex slot, in slot SATA extender card installed.

• Wow, your system is dying during copying. I think you'll have to settle with this until you change the whole platform.

My system (signature below) has only 15% of CPU used when copying over gigabit Ethernet at 110 MB/s.

• Wow, your system is dying during copying. I think you'll have to settle with this until you change the whole platform.

My system (signature below) has only 15% of CPU used when copying over gigabit Ethernet at 110 MB/s.

I'm not offten copiing files to OMV server, usually OMV used as storage for reading via dlna or some else. Load average small than 2 - it's not dying system, short load it is not a death :) That situation talk about only one: I can get from my system all perfomance what system have. As I wrote before - changing netcard can up net speed and take lower load on CPU. Internal net card working mostly in driver (software netcard), if in system would be install hardware netcard like Intel Pila series orIntel 8257x series - the system get lower CPU load during copiing process.

... My NAS older 7 years :) first system on it was be a FreeNas. So NAS on OMV living from 2.x version till atm. Give us all what we 're need, not planed to change platform at nearest time.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!