OMV on Thecus N5550 NAS

• LCD is working with https://github.com/jncronin/pymonitor. In my case on port /dev/ttyS0.

I changed some modules, so I see additional information (disk usage, hdd temp, ...) and I added a beep tone if there are any raid errors.

Could you elaborate a bit on how you implemented that? Did you need any additional packages, what exactly did you change?

There doesn't seem to be any doc available, and starting it results in a error about apcaccess or something.

EDIT: found it just required some extra software (apt install apcupsd) then it works, or remove the ups interface file.

• I had forgotten about the N5550, but glad that it is back on my radar. I tried my hand on a vitualized OMV under Proxmox, but too much load.

So I have a N5550 coming next week and I do have a couple of questions. I have been looking at a DOM replacement and wondering what is the small sized Dom I used purchase. I was thinking 32G, but I have seen decent prices at the 64G and even 128GB.

I am just looking for storage, so no Docker, zfs, etc. How much load on the system?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had forgotten about the N5550, but glad that it is back on my radar. I tried my hand on a vitualized OMV under Proxmox, but too much load.

So I have a N5550 coming next week and I do have a couple of questions. I have been looking at a DOM replacement and wondering what is the small sized Dom I used purchase. I was thinking 32G, but I have seen decent prices at the 64G and even 128GB.

I am just looking for storage, so no Docker, zfs, etc. How much load on the system?

32gig should be plenty if the server is properly configured. Still not sure how this is going to run as the specs I'm seeing online say only 1gb of RAM. My flash drive is 64gigs... there's an 16gig swap. I've got a lot running on my server, and of the remaining 48gigs, I'm only using about 4 for the OS... so 32 should be plenty.

• I had forgotten about the N5550, but glad that it is back on my radar. I tried my hand on a vitualized OMV under Proxmox, but too much load.

I replaced the dom with an SSD which will fit easily on top of the drive cage in a closed enclosure. My N5550 has 4GB of memory and runs OMV6 without issue. Load is minimal, cpu can handle it plenty. Also have the HDD leds and lcd display functional, which is real nice.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I replaced the dom with an SSD which will fit easily on top of the drive cage in a closed enclosure. My N5550 has 4GB of memory and runs OMV6 without issue. Load is minimal, cpu can handle it plenty. Also have the HDD leds and lcd display functional, which is real nice.

Just curious, is the RAM easily upgradable? (The specs I always see when Googling are 1gb of RAM.. which would be a big hang up for me)

• How are people using RAID setup? Since I am moving away from using the factory OS, I started thing about my RAID options.

I could just do a mdraid 5 and call it a day. I could use mergerfs and snapraid still with a 4 data drive/1 parity. Or I could try zraid-z1 (but I think that the limit RAM would be a deterrent!).

Since I have a 4 drive enclosure that I am connecting via esata, I am thinking at least doing snapraid on those drives, but still kicking ideas for the primary drives.

Any suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or I could try zraid-z1 (but I think that the limit RAM would be a deterrent!).

This is not correct. 2 GB is enough to use ZFS (if you really need a Raid).

https://openzfs.github.io/open…tml#hardware-requirements

Zitat

Hardware Requirements

Because ZFS was originally designed for Sun Solaris it was long considered a filesystem for large servers and for companies that could afford the best and most powerful hardware available. But since the porting of ZFS to numerous OpenSource platforms (The BSDs, Illumos and Linux - under the umbrella organization “OpenZFS”), these requirements have been lowered.

The suggested hardware requirements are:

• ECC memory. This isn’t really a requirement, but it’s highly recommended.
    • 8GB+ of memory for the best performance. It’s perfectly possible to run with 2GB or less (and people do), but you’ll need more if using deduplication.
  • I am having an issue installing on a mSATA drive. I decided to use a 512gb mSATA drive as the root file system. I made boot order changes to the BIOS, but noticed that the BIOS did not see the mSATA drive.

I booted off the USB stick and did not see the drive when at the section for partioning. If there a BIOS setting to make the drive visible or is there an issue with the drive?

• Uggg!!! So I was all ready to put my drives in the caddy. I pulled screws from another enclosure that I was using. Of course, the screws were longer than I needed, so when you install the drives into the caddy, the head of the screw is pressing down on the drive below. This won't allow me to install the last drive. Does anyone happen to know what is the correct size for the screws? I am thinking M2, but I could be wrong.

I still have not figured out how to make use of the mSATA card. I have found many web pages that note the existence of the mSATA port, but I have not any information about making use of the mSATA drive. I ordered a 64GB SATA-DOM device, but won't be here for another couple of days. I thought that I could make use of the mSATA as the boot drive and configure the OMV and then move the configuration onto the SATADOM when it comes here.

I tried to use the original firmware, but that did not go well. I only installed one drive and after I started NAS, after a couple of minutes, there was an alarm. I could see that it was complaining about the RAID (understandably so, since I only had one drive in the bay), but I could not get access to the web interface, and the device would not get a DHCP address. I know that the interfaces work because I did make use of a rescue USB and the interfaces responded properly).

• I replaced the dom with an SSD which will fit easily on top of the drive cage in a closed enclosure. My N5550 has 4GB of memory and runs OMV6 without issue. Load is minimal, cpu can handle it plenty. Also have the HDD leds and lcd display functional, which is real nice.

What did you have to do get the LEDs and display working? Although I am sure that my display is shot. The backlighting on the display seemingly does not work!

• I replaced the dom with an SSD which will fit easily on top of the drive cage in a closed enclosure. My N5550 has 4GB of memory and runs OMV6 without issue. Load is minimal, cpu can handle it plenty. Also have the HDD leds and lcd display functional, which is real nice.

heya mate, how did you power up your SSD? got plenty of SSDs lying around and would love to re-use one of these in my N4800Eco. Cheers

• I am constantly running into issue with the web interface. I have installed using a USB thumb drive as boot. I have zraid-1 and seemingly they are working. I connect to omv server via ssh as well as the web interface. Although my SSH connection stays connected, every time that I use the web interface, about 2 minutes after login, I get an error message "Software Failure. Press Left button to continue". When I click they button, I am back to the dashboard, but about 30 seconds later, I am back to the same error.

I have updated to the latest and still no joy! Is this an issue that I having or has anyone run into problem.

• I am constantly running into issue with the web interface. I have installed using a USB thumb drive as boot. I have zraid-1 and seemingly they are working. I connect to omv server via ssh as well as the web interface. Although my SSH connection stays connected, every time that I use the web interface, about 2 minutes after login, I get an error message "Software Failure. Press Left button to continue". When I click they button, I am back to the dashboard, but about 30 seconds later, I am back to the same error.

I have updated to the latest and still no joy! Is this an issue that I having or has anyone run into problem.

have had similar, clear browsers cache or try on different browser, might help

• Could you elaborate a bit on how you implemented that? Did you need any additional packages, what exactly did you change?

There doesn't seem to be any doc available, and starting it results in a error about apcaccess or something.

EDIT: found it just required some extra software (apt install apcupsd) then it works, or remove the ups interface file.

I tried to start up pymonitor and received the following error:

Code
    /root/src/pymonitor/./pymonitor.py:3: DeprecationWarning: the imp module is deprecated in favour of importlib; see the module's documentation for alternative uses
      import os, re, imp

So what is the correct way to get this up and running?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!