Comparing two folders

• I'm in the process of moving a large number of files. In Windows 10 when viewing the files via SMB shares, the first folder shows over 100K files, and 44K folders, in then second folder just 1 file and 63 folders. When I browse deeper I can see there are definitely more than 63 folders. Both directories have the same ownership, they are the same file system ext4, and they are even the same model of HDD.

And when I do a diff with the options -rs, it shows everything is the same.

Any ideas?

• I think so. I used the Reset Permissions tool in the OMV Shared Folders area to reset everything. No luck. Also I'm able to manually navigate down deep in the folder structure and view 100s of folders and files, so I do have the permissions.

Also as a double check my sanity I ran ls -lR | wc -l in both folders at the Debian CLI and the file counts match.

• some times when share the entire disk this happhens, revise and post the full path of both folder (first (origin) and second (destination)), better if post the ownner and permision ( ls -la on the correct place of both folders) to revise it

• some times when share the entire disk this happhens, revise and post the full path of both folder (first (origin) and second (destination)), better if post the ownner and permision ( ls -la on the correct place of both folders) to revise it

Oh interesting.
    Here are the paths and info. All the sub dirs have the same settings. It's the destination that has the issue.

Origin: /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-WDC_WD100EFAX-68LHPN0_1EJKAX4Z-part1/Media/Backups/Plex Media Server/Metadata

Info: drwxrwsrwx 6 root users 4096 Apr 28 04:59

Destination: /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-WDC_WD100EFAX-68LHPN0_JEK5R14N-part1/Config/Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata

Info: drwxrwsrwx+ 6 root users 4096 Apr 28 05:03

Update caches in Windows.

How do I do that? Did some googling but all that came up was stuff related to windows update cache.

• Force an update of caches by closing a folder in the file browser. Then open it again. Possibly you need to close the file browser and open it. Some have a key to press. F5 for instance.

Similar to a web browser.

Check settings for showing hidden/system files.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!