UPS is stale when resuming from standby

• Hi forum,

I have installed the nut plugin to connect my APC BX700U to my OMV5 NAS via USB. The NUT plugin automatically configured itself and the setup was pretty much done.

I am seeing an issue every time the NAS wakes up from standby: the driver goes stale and connection is lost, then immediately restored. As result of this, I get two notification emails.

Code
    Apr 28 18:00:02 nas upsd[1009]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
    Apr 28 18:00:02 nas upsd[1009]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale
    Apr 28 18:00:04 nas upsmon[1012]: Poll UPS [ups] failed - Write error: Broken pipe
    Apr 28 18:00:04 nas upsmon[1012]: Communications with UPS ups lost
    Apr 28 18:00:04 nas upssched[31185]: Executing command: notify
    Apr 28 18:00:04 nas upssched-cmd: Communications with the UPS ups are lost
    Apr 28 18:00:12 nas upsd[1009]: User monmaster@127.0.0.1 logged into UPS [ups]
    Apr 28 18:00:12 nas upsmon[1012]: Communications with UPS ups established
    Apr 28 18:00:12 nas upssched[32005]: Executing command: notify
    Apr 28 18:00:12 nas upssched-cmd: Communications with the UPS ups are established

I have tried to:

• Add the environment variable OMV_NUT_UPSD_MAXAGE="25"
    • Add this option to the plugin pollinterval = 10
    • Add the environment variable OMV_NUT_UPSMON_POLLFREQ="8"

None of these has changed this behaviour.

I believe standard polling/frequencies are fine, but they are done too aggressively when the system is restored (18:00 in this case) and any change does not delay the first check which is done when the system isn't ready yet.

This issue is probably related to NUT itself so I am kindly asking if anyone has experience with it. Somebody on the forum in 2015 seen the same issue.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 5.x + omvextrasorg

Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 8GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker), 3x4TB HDD (Data) - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

Edited once, last by auanasgheps ().

• auanasgheps

Changed the title of the thread from “UPS Connection issues w/ standby” to “UPS is stale when resuming from standby”.
  • I just found the user manual here. Maybe your answer can be found there. I have just recently purchased and installed a CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD to protect my NanoPi M4, and am trying to figure out similar ups logs. Sorry I can't be any help.

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Hardware: Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1), backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2. Mac user trying to convert to Linux on a HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

• I've read a lot using the online help which seems similar to the manual, that's why I've played a bit with those settings, but none of them helped.

Latest NUT release is 4 years old, but on Github the project is alive. There are many issues already fixed in code but not released, who knows when they'll do something. I also opened an issue on Github, but nobody replied yet.

For the time being I've set a redirection rule in my inbox when my UPS disconnects/reconnects, hoping this will actually not happen.

Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 8GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker), 3x4TB HDD (Data) - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• It is terribly frustrating. You really want to protect your equipment, but aren't sure that it will even work if there is a power outage. I had to outages a couple of weeks ago. That is why I bought a UPS, hoping that NUT would just work. I need to read the manual I guess.

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Hardware: Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1), backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2. Mac user trying to convert to Linux on a HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

• The manual contains very useful information, but if you're having issues read about the values I've posted in the first post, those are changed most frequently based on my (short) experience with nut.

I have manually tested the nut functionality by disconnecting my UPS from the power, and works: the server got shut down following the countdown I had configured in NUT. Moreover, NUT logs in the WebGUI documented this very well, so in case of an outage you get several emails + syslog events.

If your UPS has more battery than you actually need, set a short countdown and test, you will not hurt anything.

• Thanks. I’ll have a closer look at your settings and try that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!