Problem with Bonding

• Hi,

I installed on a nano-pc (conga-PA5) openmediavault V5.4.2 and I cannot configure the Bonding.

When I go to the network configuration, I already have my network card N ° 1 which is configured but I want to create a bonding so I click on "create a virtual interface" but I only have the second card (the first being Already used).

Do you have an idea?

PS: I made a small diagram to explain to you, can you tell me if it is possible and feasible?

Best regards

• allwan Could you elaborate on how you have achieved that, please? I have two LAN adapters, which are configured individually. I tried and failed several times to link them. My problem was that apparently you have to delete the configurations in order to create the bond from scratch. But removing the configuration, I lost access to the web-ui. It's like a catch 22. I've seen reports working around that by installing WLAN adapters in addition, but could not get those to work either...

As such, any advice appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

allwan Could you elaborate on how you have achieved that, please? I have two LAN adapters, which are configured individually. I tried and failed several times to link them. My problem was that apparently you have to delete the configurations in order to create the bond from scratch. But removing the configuration, I lost access to the web-ui. It's like a catch 22. I've seen reports working around that by installing WLAN adapters in addition, but could not get those to work either...

As such, any advice appreciated!

The problem will be fixed in openmediavault 5.5.1. Ethernet and WiFi devices can be used for bonding right after their configuration has been deleted. It is not necessary anymore to apply the changes before to make them visible in the bond dialog.

• votdev

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Thanks again, votdev. Works brilliantly! My bond is up and running... :)

Still gave me headaches, but just because of my setup and because I did not really know what I was doing when I started. As this might be useful for others, here a little summary of my learnings:

Situation:

- I have two NICs on my OMV NAS, which are both connected to a managed Unifi 24 Port PoE Switch, which in turn connects to a cable modem via a Unifi Security Gateway.

- I configured everything with my laptop which connects to the Unifi network via Unifi access points and WLAN.

- Objective was to bind the two NAS NICs to increase bandwidth and fail-over security between server and switch

Complication:

- 1: My Unifi Controller docker runs on the OMV server, so "losing" that means I cannot configure anything via my laptop anymore

- 2: I run a Pi-Hole docker on my OMV server, too, so "losing" that means I can neither resolve hostnames nor connect to the internet anymore

Solution:

- It helps to start by removing Pi-Hole from the uplink chain, by reverting to the USG as standard gateway and DNS server in the Unifi controller. Less trouble.

- Before binding the NICs on my OMV server, I aggregated two empty(!) ports on my Unifi switch, to "prepare" the receiving end for the bond. This allowed me to keep the connection with the network.

- Only then, I deleted the network configuration on the OMV server and created the bond, which works now, thanks to votdev's recent changes.

- After applying the new configuration, the bond started configuring.

- I then replugged the two LAN cables coming from the OMV server into the pre-configured aggregated ones, and the bond was active.

- So far so good, but the bond came with a new MAC address, and the Unifi gateway would not resolve the hostname correctly anymore.

- To fix that, I logged into the security gateway and edited /etc/hosts by replacing the MAC address of the old single LAN connection by the new one from the bond.

- The last step was to reconfigure Pi-Hole: I had to delete and recreate the MacVlan network, as the parent had changed to "bond0". Finally, I reinstated it as standard gateway and DNS server in the Unifi controller and all was done. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!