Personal Project - NAS for home usage

• Hi friends,

I'm currently investigating a NAS solution and after some research I found the OpenMediaVault. I'm planning to implement a personal NAS at home to be used by my wife and myself. So here is the explanation and expectations and I hope you guys can clarify if I'm in the right path or just being or just I'm being naive about it.

I was initially thinking on get a Raspberry PI to get the job done but I gave up, since I might require something more robust in the future.

Current Scenario

I have a desktop, a laptop, several pendrives and two external hard drives with lots of files of several types, both personal and professional and I want to centralize it in a NAS solution. But before doing so, I decided plan all my requirements, which are:

Mandatory requirements

1. Centralize my data in a single place accessible from my desktop, laptop and smartphones.
    2. Allow unencrypted synchronization with Google Drive for data to be accessible anywhere directly from Google Drive app or Chrome.
    3. Allow encrypted synchronization with Google Drive for data such as movies, series and anything else.
    4. Allow encrypted storage in Google Cloud, such as movies and series, stored exclusively in cloud solution.
    5. Allow unencrypted data to be stored exclusively in Google Cloud, without local data in NAS.
    6. Run software for downloads, such as JDownloader and a torrent client.

Optional requirements

1. Allow requirements 2 and 3 above to be synchronized with OneDrive (less than 5 TB) for safety.
    2. Be able to run Plex, Sonarr, Radarr and this kind of stuff

Just to be clear, the requirements 2 and 3 described above should be stored in local NAS and synchronized with cloud storage. On the other hand, the requirement 4 should be stored only in cloud.

In terms of hardware what I have so far and intend to use for this solution is:

• 1x External HDD with 4 TB USB 3.0 (already have)
    • 1x Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 - Intel Core I3, 8 GB RAM and SSD 120 GB (buying used one)
    • Desktop, laptops and smartphone to access the data

All of this is for personal usage of two users, being it my wife and myself.

Questions, doubts and so on

1. Is Open Media Vault and its ecosystem capable of achieve my mandatory requirements listed above?
    2. Is Open Media Vault and its ecosystem capable of achieve the optional requirements above?
    3. Does Open Media Vault and its compatible software allows encrypted and unencrypted data to be synchronized with cloud storage (i.e. Google Drive and OneDrive)?
    4. Is the device I choose compatible with Open Media Vault?
    5. Is it necessary a HDD proper for NAS or a regular is able to do the job?

Initially I know I'll use a lot of data to send everyting to local storage in NAS and also the cloud storage but after initial preparation I don't think the amount of data would be big.

I tried to be as clear as I can in my description, but if there is any further question.

Best regards,

• Offizieller Beitrag

The limiting factor is not OMV and the base it is built on. It is you and your ability that is the limiting factor.

OMV and Debian can do everything you mention. However "can do" does not mean "easy". Once you have done it, it may be easy. But the way there can be anything but.

OMV is not a turn-key system. It is an open-ended DIY project.

In principle, any software that can run on a Linux platform, can run on a OMV system. Either installed directly or as a docker.

Working with encryption may require some extra oomph. Using an i3 and USB connected HDD may introduce bottlenecks and result in poor performance. However that is just a vague suspicion. You need to test to see if your hardware is enough given your specific usage pattern.

A bad HDD is not as good as a good HDD. Surprise! External USB HDDs are typically intended for light intermittent desktop use. Not for use as a 24/7 NAS storage drive. Some external HDDs are even directly unsuitable for NAS use.

I mainly use external USB HDDs I have "built" myself. A known-to-be-good enclosure combined with a known-to-be-good NAS grade HDD. For instance a StarTech enclosure and a 2.5" Crucial MX500 SSD or a 3.5" Seagate Ironwolf or EXOS X HDD.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Hi Adoby, thank you for your reply. I understand what you mean and agree with what you said.

Regarding the HDD I'll use mine for learning purposes but I'll have to upgrade it anyway. It is from 2011 and 2,7 TB available and I need at least 4 TB of storage. About the usage, it will be requested a lot in the begining but later only eventual access. I saw a post here or in reddit where a guy use everything from cloud and use his personal NAS just as a backup, and I found this idea very clever for several reasons, it is something to think about.

I talk about Plex, but I have access to a very good server of a friend of mine so I don't need it. It would be just a lab for learning purposes if I set it up in the future.

I received the machine (Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny M900) yesterday and I already installed the OMV5 and made the updates.

So, now I decide to go easy, in phases but the required objectives I mentioned above remains.

• You can do everything with OMV, it's open and flexible, but you will need to learn (well) Docker: it's how you'll install most of the services. And learn Debian too.

You can take a look at:

• Syncthing, an excellent file synchronization program.
    • Nextcloud, basically a self hosted Google Drive/Dropbox.

Jdownloader, Transmission (Torrent) and Plex are all available too.

All of this software can be installed via Docker.

I have no idea about disk encryption, I don't use it, something is available but I'm sure it won't be user friendly. You probably want to encrypt only one disk that you rarely access.

Regarding requirement number 5, I don't understand it. If you want to store data in Google Drive, use Google Drive. You can still mount it as remote folder and pull/push data to it.

OMV is not a turn-key system. It is an open-ended DIY project.

Needs love and care too. :)

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!