How to migrate plugins to docker before upgrade to OMV 5

• I would like to upgrade my OMV 4 to OMV 5 and have installed Portainer to be prepared. I am already running a good set of plugins in docker.

But I have seen that I have still a few installed that are not available in OMV 5.

What is the suggested way of migrating installed plugins to docker before doing the upgrade procedure?

To name a few i have installed: remotedesktop, letsencrypt, nginx, MySQL, ubackup

I also fear that my nextcloud installation will break on the way.

This seems to make the upgrade painfull...

• My containers from omv4 work well in omv5 after system reinstalling. To me, docker can almost satisfy my requirement. Some plugins really make things easy, but they need maintenance. It's likely that developers may not work on them in future. I know that letsencrypt, nginx and MySQL can be replace by docker version though they may not has easy config GUI as the deprecated plugins. However, if you don't mind new patches and functions, holding on old version is still a choice.

OMV 6.0.20-1 (Shaitan) | Linux 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 | omvextrasorg 6.0.8

• Thanks for picking this up. Although i am not sure if we are on the same page yet.

Let me describe again: I would like to migrate the plugins that are not available in OMV 5 into dockers on my current OMV 4 installation.

I fully agree to what you say. My question is, how to migrate the configuration and data of my plugins into dockers before upgrading to OMV 5?

It seems there is no general answer to this. For some applications it is rather easy. But for my nginx, MySQL/MariaDB, Letsencrypt, Nextcloud installations that somehow are even dependant on each other I really wonder how to best do this.

• Thanks for picking this up. Although i am not sure if we are on the same page yet.

Let me describe again: I would like to migrate the plugins that are not available in OMV 5 into dockers on my current OMV 4 installation.

I fully agree to what you say. My question is, how to migrate the configuration and data of my plugins into dockers before upgrading to OMV 5?

It seems there is no general answer to this. For some applications it is rather easy. But for my nginx, MySQL/MariaDB, Letsencrypt, Nextcloud installations that somehow are even dependant on each other I really wonder how to best do this.

create files like nextcloud.yaml, that you can use in portainer, see latest videos of Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

or my last HOWTO to understand: [HOWTO] install mldonkey on OMV5 using portainer WEBGUI

• This HOWTO question is not easy to answer. I mean that the softwares can be migrated while plugins can't. In general, if you want to migrate a in-use software to docker, the migrated parts are data and configuration. I'm not going to write a detailed guide here, but I could give some instructions.

Google for reference because a software may have it's addtional needs in docker versioin.

1. figure out the storage path of data and config files

2. choose a suitable docker image and read the overview

3. prepare to deploy containers, perform a backup of data before operating is a good idea

4. set up the container like network type (host/bridge), port mapping if neccesary, envrionment variables, volume binds and ...

5. if the container works not well, you may go back to the previous step and do some modification

OMV 6.0.20-1 (Shaitan) | Linux 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 | omvextrasorg 6.0.8

• Also maybe provide a little more info what you do with the plugins. Is the MariaDB only for Nextcloud or do you have other databases? What are you using nginx for?

I thinks the migration of Nextcloud is a little tricky, but can be done. There is a very good letsencrypt docker with an integrated reverse proxy by linuxserver.io.

• Thanks guys. I am already aware of everything you pointed out, although of course it is good information.

I was just hoping there is some easier way. The situation is that some plugins just vanish and users are suggested to move to docker. So as this is part of the normal update for every user, I hoped for some prepared path.

I guess i will have to do this plugin after plugin and get back with more detailed questions on each.

I think there is probably quite a number of users with the same issue. Hope it is not going to cost too many followers of this project. as i really like it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!