No storage drives showing on fresh install

• Just installed OMV 5, complete newb, got through it all fine. But now I can only see my cache SSD, SAS drives not showing up anywhere!

I had just flashed my HBA card to IT mode because IR mode was kicking my but, but might there still be some issue with the drives not being mounted or something? I'm really at a loss. Checked all the physical connections and all seems fine...:D;(

• Hi,

that is very little information in my opinion. what kind of SAS controller is it? are the connected drives recognized when booting?

Please give us some more information so that we can maybe help!

greetings

• The relevant parts are listed below. How/where would I check that the drives are recognised when booting?

Mobo Supermicro X9SCM-F

SAS Card Fujitsu D2607-A21 6Gbps SAS HBA = LSI 9211-8i

SAS Drives ST4000NM0023 Seagate Constellation ES.3 4TB 7.2K 3.5" SAS 9ZM270

thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

That card works well with Linux/OMV - I have one. What is the output of: lspci

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Without appearing tongue in cheek are you sure the flash has completed successfully, searching for your card threw up a few links,

https://www.ixsystems.com/comm…-flash-to-anything.48946/

https://forums.unraid.net/topi…b=comments#comment-522038

https://marcan.st/2016/05/crossflashing-the-fujitsu-d2607/

• No worries geaves, thanks for the input.

I checked out those links but they don't seem like my issue. I can see IT mode listed when the system boots rather than the IR mode I used to see.

Ryecoaaron, how do I get to the command line to input that command? When I boot it just goes straight to 'openmediavault login: '. Do I need to boot into the efi shell?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ryecoaaron, how do I get to the command line to input that command? When I boot it just goes straight to 'openmediavault login: '. Do I need to boot into the efi shell?

lspci is a linux command. The openmediavault login prompt is the Linux login prompt. So, login as root. Or use putty to ssh to the system (easier to cut & paste output that way).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• That card works well with Linux/OMV - I have one. What is the output of: lspci

What part of the output is relevant? I can see:

Host bridge

PCI bridge

Ethernet controller

USB controller

ISA bridge

SATA controller

SMBus

Serial Attached SCSI controller

• Offizieller Beitrag

What part of the output is relevant?

Is there a reason you couldn't post all of it? I guess I was looking for any line with sata, scsi, or storage in it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What part of the output is relevant?

You can highlight, copy (cntl+c), and paste the output from a PuTTY session into notepad, and save it as a text file. Upload the file with "Attachments" at the bottom of your post.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The card is recognized by Linux. When booting the system and see that the card is in IT mode, do you see the drives connected to listed?

• I can't see. I could only see that 'IT Mode' listing when I had the card in my PC, but now that it's in my server the screen only flashes up about 'IRQ index 0 not found' before going to the login screen.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try to ctrl-c into the card's bios when booting.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but now that it's in my server the screen only flashes up about 'IRQ index 0 not found' before going to the login screen.

You might want to look at your motherboard's BIOS settings to get more information. Some versions of BIOS have a setting that will hide the boot sequence versus showing detailed information that would include the BIOS of your card loading. In some mobo BIOS versions it may be called a "Quick POST Test". You'd want to disable a quick post test. It might be called "Fast Boot" in other versions. In either case, you'd want to disable "fast" or "quick". That might let you see your card's BIOS loading which should display the key sequence to get into the card's setup.

Take a look at this -> reference.

• Thank you all so much for your help so far. This is super frustrating (for everyone I'm sure!)

There was no fast/quick boot option, only Quiet boot but I gather that's something different. When I crtl+c and I get into the GRUB interface I get three options: boot into bios, boot into debian, or advanced boot into debian. I've explored these but have not seen any way to access the card so far.

I've taken apart the server again and noticed something, not sure if it's an issue. The SAS controller connects into a Rosewill hot-swap drive cage and the cards connect to the back plane with the SAS interface. But on the cards, next to this interface, there are four pins labelled MOLEX 78326 which are not connected (see attached). Is that fine? I guess that they are just an alternate power source?

And thanks again. I get that I'm asking a lot of hardware questions on a software forum.

• Offizieller Beitrag

he SAS controller connects into a Rosewill hot-swap drive cage and the cards connect to the back plane with the SAS interface

Does the backplane have a connection to power, the 'norm' is not to use the backplane just the cage, then connect the drives to power and the controller.

There was a user having a similar issue some time ago on a HP, by removing the backplane but using the cage and hba to sata cables and power connections it worked.

• Offizieller Beitrag

only Quiet boot but I gather that's something different.

RE your BIOS, you'd want to disable "Quiet". Then you might see the full BIOS boot sequence with messages and interrupt key sequences, to get into your card's setup.

Also, note what geaves said about the drive cage.

The following is offered as a cross check of your hardware setup:
    Most drive cages require at least 1ea, 4 pin, molex connection to the PC's power supply. Some of them require two.
    (Daisy chained molex connectors, as some power supplies are wired, are fine but in the case below, two connections are most likely required for all slots to work.)

Another thing to note:
    Your first post says you have a "HBA" that you flashed to IT mode. To connect 4 drives with a cage like the above, you'd have to have 4 individual SATA connections. To make that work, you'll need a SAS/SATA breakout cable for your HBA similar to this. -> Cable

• Yeah, the "quiet boot" option actually slows down the entire process and sometimes interferes with the detection of some items as it restricts the abilities of your machine, you'll be better off without it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!