How set up quaility for youtube-dl?

• HI,

how can I tell youtube-dl to download the best quality (=resolution) available?

When I use youtube-dl on one of my linux machines it automaticly downloads the best quality but when using youtube-dl on my OMV it is in a reduced resolution.

Can someone please advice me how to fix this?

Thanks + stay healthy ;)

fahrer17

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Seagate IronWolf 8TB/WD Red 8TB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you using the openmediavault-downloader plugin? It does this automatically.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Are you using the openmediavault-downloader plugin? It does this automatically.

Yes, I do. And no, not for me :/

Just tested it again - have a look at the attachments please:

OMVManjaro
    76MB828MB
    1280x7203840x2160

I used the standard settings/commands.

• Are you sure that both downloads had the same file format mp4? Sometimes higher quality is only available as webm-file, but you have preselected mp4.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Are you sure that both downloads had the same file format mp4? Sometimes higher quality is only available as webm-file, but you have preselected mp4.

Hm, not absolutely... In OMV I added "mp4" manually (otherwise the file doesn't have a format) whereas in Manjaro the "webm" was added automatically.

You mean if I put a "webm" in OMV it could be ok? Interesting...

Funny fact: My elder son is called Leonard, his nickname is Leo and he likes BMWs, especially the convertibles... :D

Edit: You mean if I put a "webm" in OMV it could be ok? Interesting...

Edit2: Nope. Tested it: Chose "webm" in OMV mask and downloaded it once more. Again ca. 76MB and the same resolution.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fahrer17 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

If setting the youtube-dl --format argument to best[ext=mp4]/best doesn't download the best, then there isn't anything the plugin can do. That would be a question for the youtube-dl devs.

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…d/rpc/downloader.inc#L210

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• If setting the youtube-dl --format argument to best[ext=mp4]/best doesn't download the best, then there isn't anything the plugin can do. That would be a question for the youtube-dl devs.

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…d/rpc/downloader.inc#L210

Ok, thanks. Not the answer I was hoping for but at least I know now it's not my fault... ;)

No problem using youtube-dl with my other linux machines.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

No problem using youtube-dl with my other linux machines.

With what command? I don't see the full command in any of your pics.

• With what command? I don't see the full command in any of your pics.

Simply download-dl url

Because:

By default youtube-dl tries to download the best available quality, i.e. if you want the best quality you don't need to pass any special options, youtube-dl will guess it for you by default.

Found on https://github.com/ytdl-org/yo…EADME.md#format-selection

Works fine for me on both linux machines but not with OMV.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Simply download-dl url

Did you try this on the OMV machine too?

Is there a possibility to define the file format (mp4, webm...) AND to instruct download-dl to download the best available quality for that specific format?

It would very much appreciate to have a possibility to control the file format.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Did you try this on the OMV machine too?

Is there a possibility to define the file format (mp4, webm...) AND to instruct download-dl to download the best available quality for that specific format?

It would very much appreciate to have a possibility to control the file format.

No since I don't know where to put it. OMV mask has no option for commands (I think - added the screenshot again).

But yes, you can choose the format but this doesn't affect the resolution. I downloaded the same YT video in mp4 and webm with no noticeable effect.

To be clear: In OMV I only used the provided mask, no terminal etc.

• I meant

Simply download-dl url

I think I did not express myself clear. I meant did you try this command in a SSH terminal in OMV to ensure that the best quality video can be downloaded in OMV at all? If this is possible by CLI then it shouldn´t be a big thing for ryecoaaron to modify the plugin - if he will find the time to do this of course :)

When I am at home later then I will try this by myself also.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• I meant

I think I did not express myself clear. I meant did you try this command in a SSH terminal in OMV to ensure that the best quality video can be downloaded in OMV at all? If this is possible by CLI then it shouldn´t be a big thing for ryecoaaron to modify the plugin - if he will find the time to do this of course :)

When I am at home later then I will try this by myself also.

Classic case of misunderstanding ^^

I tested your suggestion: One file downloaded from GUI, the other using ssh terminal; both have the same size and resolution (866x720).

So none of them is HD as provided by YT.

• Maybe some kind of 4K support is necessary on the destination system, which the youtube-dl uses to determine which resolution is the "best quality". Why should it download a 4K-video if the system supports only full-HD? Just a thought.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Maybe some kind of 4K support is necessary on the destination system, which the youtube-dl uses to determine which resolution is the "best quality". Why should it download a 4K-video if the system supports only full-HD? Just a thought.

Though this is far beyond my scope I don't think so. My wife's old laptop (an older Thinkpad) has a resolution of something like 1300x700 but downloads just fine.

Oh, I´m just seeing that there is an issue with youtube-dl that the best qualitiy is not downloaded if ffmpeg is not installed:

[YouTube] Incorrect detection of best format #23149

But this sounds reasonable. I will try this during the rest of the day :thumbup::)

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

Adding ffmpeg did allow me to download the 4k video of the video in the github issue when using no youtube-dl flags. But I couldn't get any --format option to download the 4k video. Even something simple like youtube-dl --format best would not work. I could add an option to not use any arguments but it is strange that "best" doesn't download the best even with ffmpeg.

• Offizieller Beitrag

After more tests, --format bestvideo[ext=mp4]+bestaudio downloads the right video and audio but requires ffmpeg to merge (which switches to mkv). So, the best flag downloads the best video and audio that are already combined. Will have to think on how to change the plugin but not make it confusing to support the options.

• After more tests, --format bestvideo[ext=mp4]+bestaudio downloads the right video and audio but requires ffmpeg to merge (which switches to mkv). So, the best flag downloads the best video and audio that are already combined. Will have to think on how to change the plugin but not make it confusing to support the options.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly: So there IS something strange with OMV's downloader and you are going to analyze it, right?

If so, thanks so far for your answers and efforts :):thumbup:

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• ryecoaaron Thank you for maintaining the plugin!

Just an idea: Would it make sense to introduce some kind of "Extra Options" field to customize the way how the plugin downloads a file? There are so many command line switches available for youtube-dl, which you can never map all of them in the GUI.

I have always regretted that there is no possibility of individual customizing. For me a way to customize output format and resolution would be valuable.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!