How set up quaility for youtube-dl?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So there IS something strange with OMV's downloader and you are going to analyze it, right?

I did analyze it and what I posted is the strange but expected(?) behavior of youtube-dl. I will try explain it better:

youtube-dl with no arguments - downloads highest quality video and highest quality audio separately, can merge into mkv if ffmpeg available

youtube-dl with --format=best - same as no arguments

youtube-dl with --format=best[ext=mp4] - downloads best mp4 and best audio, may not be the highest video, can merge into mkv if ffmpeg available

Yes, there work but you don't end up with what you are asking for - an mp4 in my example. Maybe mkv is ok??

These are the arguments the plugin uses:

youtube-dl with --format=bestvideo[ext=mp4]/bestaudio - downloads video that satisfies both requirements in one video, may not be the highest video or highest audio, doesn't need ffmpeg, always get the video type you ask for.

I'm not sure what the best option is. I guess I can add an option to leave out the best* arguments?

Would it make sense to introduce some kind of "Extra Options" field to customize the way how the plugin downloads a file? There are so many command line switches available for youtube-dl, which you can never map all of them in the GUI.

I have always regretted that there is no possibility of individual customizing. For me a way to customize output format and resolution would be valuable.

Right now, all of the logic to determine what arguments to use is in the php code. To do what you are asking would require that logic to be in the client side javascript. If the plugin allowed both (extra options from the client and logic in the php code), the plugin would have to validate commands (tough) and remove duplicate arguments. I will have to look at it to come up with some ideas.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well, if you ask me (from the user's point of view, not the coder at all ;)), I would like to see something like a pulldown menu where I can choose from what format I want (mp3, mp4, mkv etc).

As far as I know the available formats can be checked by using

-F, --list-formats

List all available formats of requested videos

Wouldn't this work?

For me a HD mp4 would probably be ok since my older TV is only HD and can't play mkv anyway (not sure though wether all mkv's are the same).

And again: Thank you for doing this!

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Seagate IronWolf 8TB/WD Red 8TB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, if you ask me (from the user's point of view, not the coder at all ;) ), I would like to see something like a pulldown menu where I can choose from what format I want (mp3, mp4, mkv etc).

Maybe I don't understand but there already is a dropdown menu that allows you to choose the format. The fact that the plugin is adding the arguments to youtube-dl that makes sure you get that selected format is why you don't always get the highest quality video.

As far as I know the available formats can be checked by using

While I know that works well when using youtube-dl interactively, that is not something the plugin can really do. It needs the url to get the list and that just makes the code weird.

For me a HD mp4 would probably be ok since my older TV is only HD and can't play mkv anyway (not sure though wether all mkv's are the same).

This is actually an argument for leaving the plugin exactly how it is.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• youtube-dl with --format=best[ext=mp4] - downloads best mp4 and best audio, may not be the highest video, can merge into mkv if ffmpeg available

Personally I had no problem with mkv file. Allmost all newer Smart TVs and media players should play it. I have an old Popcorn Hour C200 which I still use from time to time which can also play mkv files.

Therefore I really would appreciate a possibility to download the highest quality also if a mkv file would be created and ffmpeg has to be installed.

And also from my side: Thank you for doing this.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Maybe I don't understand but there already is a dropdown menu that allows you to choose the format. The fact that the plugin is adding the arguments to youtube-dl that makes sure you get that selected format is why you don't always get the highest quality video.

While I know that works well when using youtube-dl interactively, that is not something the plugin can really do. It needs the url to get the list and that just makes the code weird.

This is actually an argument for leaving the plugin exactly how it is.

Ok, I thought about something like this:

1. I paste my link

2. youtube-dl checks what is available and opens the dropdown menu

3. I click the option I prefer (mp3, mp4, webm, mkv whatever) and the desired file is downloading

Yes, you are right, there is a dropdown menu. But I somehow couldn't take it for real since it was not working properly (if you know what I mean :)).

And whatever format there is (mp4 or mkv) is fine for me.

Another question: Can you see how many people are using OMV's youtube-dl? If it's too much hassle to optimize a maybe not so often used feature leave it as it is (imho). I am fine using my other youtube-dl as before ;)

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. I paste my link

2. youtube-dl checks what is available and opens the dropdown menu

This is exactly what is difficult to do. It is difficult to know when to populate the dropdown. I also haven't looked at how easy it is to parse the list of formats.

But I somehow couldn't take it for real since it was not working properly (if you know what I mean :)

Actually, I don't know what you mean. It was working properly. I use this plugin all the time. The only thing it isn't doing is downloading the highest quality video. It has never downloaded the wrong format. It would download the wrong format IF the plugin was changed to use --format=best and ffmpeg was installed.

Can you see how many people are using OMV's youtube-dl? If it's too much hassle to optimize a maybe not so often used feature leave it as it is (imho). I am fine using my other youtube-dl as before

All I can see is that there were 2530 downloads in the last week. This is one of the few plugins that I actually wrote for myself although I rarely use the single download option. I will look at improving it. Just not sure how much I can do.

• Actually, I don't know what you mean. It was working properly. I use this plugin all the time. The only thing it isn't doing is downloading the highest quality video. It has never downloaded the wrong format. It would download the wrong format IF the plugin was changed to use --format=best and ffmpeg was installed.

Well, I re-read my lines and tbh now I don't know it anymore myself.

I tried to download something like a beginner and in my opinion the OMV mask is somewhat irritating:

1. I have to add a file name. Cool so far, so I can name it what I like. But I have to add a file extension otherwise there will be none. Moreover I can add e.g. "mp3" but am able to choose "mp4".

2. As mentioned before I can't choose the quality.

3. Finally I have to select a folder.

Don't get me wrong but the more I think about it the easier I find downloading something from my terminal.

If you say you use it all the time didn't you notice the missing best qualitiy before (well, maybe we use it for different purposes?) ?

Maybe I should add that I don't download a lot from Youtube. Some tutorials from time to time but no crappy youtube-mp3s etc.

But I do like youtube-dl for its manifoldness (e.g. download media from German TV media centers).

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have to add a file name

Only on the individual download button (which I rarely use anymore). The multiple (works with one just fine) or playlist name the file automatically.

But I have to add a file extension otherwise there will be none.

Uh, that isn't that hard.

Moreover I can add e.g. "mp3" but am able to choose "mp4".

True. Flexibility means you can do dumb things too.

As mentioned before I can't choose the quality.

Mentioned many times. I am working on this plugin. I just don't have a lot of time.

Finally I have to select a folder.

Where is the plugin supposed to put the file???

Don't get me wrong but the more I think about it the easier I find downloading something from my terminal.

Don't get me wrong but no one has really complained about the plugin in the 7+ years it existed and you can barely use it. I willing to change things but give some time. Writing plugins for something that is meant to be interactive is not easy.

If you say you use it all the time didn't you notice the missing best qualitiy before (well, maybe we use it for different purposes?) ?

It is downloading the file with the best quality that is already merged. Yes, I get it that some videos have a separate video file of higher quality and separate audio file of higher quality that can be merged into a single file IF ffmpeg is installed. The stuff I download is mostly music to listen to in my garage or old kid videos that don't have high quality streams.

Maybe I should add that I don't download a lot from Youtube. Some tutorials from time to time but no crappy youtube-mp3s etc.

I have tried to make the plugin not youtube specific. So, it does things that youtube-dl does.

• But I do like youtube-dl for its manifoldness (e.g. download media from German TV media centers).

This can also be done very handy by MediathekView.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Don't get me wrong but no one has really complained about the plugin in the 7+ years it existed and you can barely use it

I like the plugin because it is very easy to use, especially the "batch" mode (don´t know the correct name at the moment), where several URLs can be downloaded at once, without defining a name for every file.

Therefore I am glad that ryecoaaron thinks about a possibility to enhance to plugin to download the highest available quality. He should take the time he needs.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Only on the individual download button (which I rarely use anymore). The multiple (works with one just fine) or playlist name the file automatically.

How can I add multiple files or a list?

Uh, that isn't that hard.

No, but different ;)

True. Flexibility means you can do dumb things too.

Of course.

Where is the plugin supposed to put the file???

Yeah, I know, it's just another click I have to do.

Don't get me wrong but no one has really complained about the plugin in the 7+ years it existed and you can barely use it. I willing to change things but give some time. Writing plugins for something that is meant to be interactive is not easy.

Nah, no complainig! =O

I was just wondering how to use it. Now I know a lot about the background and your thoughts and I see we approach differently to it.

Please, I don't expect people to change their tools if they don't fit my needs or expectations.

The stuff I download is mostly music to listen to in my garage...

I use Spotify and my bluetooth speaker for this 8)

This can also be done very handy by MediathekView

Yeah, I know, I use them parallel.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can I add multiple files or a list?

Have you tried the "Add Multiple" and "Add Playlist" buttons?

Yeah, I know, it's just another click I have to do.

I will try to make the plugin read your mind to put the files where you want.

I use Spotify and my bluetooth speaker for this

I have an old component stereo with 12" woofers and 120 watts/channel that will get a hell of a lot louder (I use power tools) than your bluetooth speaker. I do have a bluetooth adapter on it. And even though I have a Unifi AC Pro about 15m away from the stereo in my garage, my power tools seem to cause issues streaming via wifi. Spotify doesn't have everything I want to hear either. Since I have a huge music collection and I don't want to constantly switch sources, I download files and put them on my device.

• Have you tried the "Add Multiple" and "Add Playlist" buttons?

Sometimes we don't see the wood for the trees...

I will try to make the plugin read your mind to put the files where you want.

:thumbup::saint:

I have an old component stereo with 12" woofers and 120 watts/channel that will get a hell of a lot louder (I use power tools) than your bluetooth speaker. I do have a bluetooth adapter on it. And even though I have a Unifi AC Pro about 15m away from the stereo in my garage, my power tools seem to cause issues streaming via wifi. Spotify doesn't have everything I want to hear either. Since I have a huge music collection and I don't want to constantly switch sources, I download files and put them on my device.

I have neighbours ;)

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!