Newbie question on backing up boot device

• Hi guys!

I am here with another noob question!

Just a quick recap on my setup with low budget low hw:

• Cubietruck as mainboard with 8 GB Sdcard as boot disk.
    • Just one 1 TB hdd to start playing with services and omv.

I had setup Docker, Portainer, Qbittorrent with portainer, SFTP server, SMB shared...all working and making me really happy!!

I want to move to a quicker and bigger sd card (32Gb) and I am looking how to move my complete install on this new card.

I am reading on the forum of the backup plugin and sure I will read better how it works, but my stupid question is: I just need to create an iso of my actual sd card and then burn it on the new one or I am missing something else??

Thanks!!

• I want to move to a quicker and bigger sd card (32Gb) and I am looking how to move my complete install on this new card.

You download Win32DiskImager make complete backup of the 8GB SD-Card, you write back the image to 32GB SD-Card.

[LibreELEC @ 2x RPi3, CoreELEC @ S12 Octa Core]

[ NAS OMV 5.xx (Usul) @ NanoPI M4 ]

[ Nextcloud 18.0.4 @ ODROID C2 ]

[ Motioneye @ RPi4]

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just need to create an iso of my actual sd card and then burn it on the new one or I am missing something else??

Yes. But in this case it is called an image not an iso. You do not need the backup plugin for this. Just pull the SD card and clone it on any Windows or Linux PC.

For cloning you can use for example usbimager https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager

Yes, it works also for SD cards ;)

After you cloned your sd card to the bigger one you need to resize the partition or create an additional one. This can be done for example with gparted which can be found on almost every Linux distribution. You can run for example Ubuntu or Linux Mint as live session.

• Yes. But in this case it is called an image not an iso. You do not need the backup plugin for this. Just pull the SD card and clone it on any Windows or Linux PC.

For cloning you can use for example usbimager https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager

Yes, it works also for SD cards ;)

After you cloned your sd card to the bigger one you need to resize the partition or create an additional one. This can be done for example with gparted which can be found on almost every Linux distribution. You can run for example Ubuntu or Linux Mint as live session.

Great! This is clear what i need...

I'm running arm linux on my cubietruck, I willi clone with some tool as that one that you told me and than resize with fdisk!

• You download Win32DiskImager make complete backup of the 8GB SD-Card, you write back the image to 32GB SD-Card.

My experiences with Win32DiskImager were less than satisfactory. I prefer to generate a daily backup image on an attached USB drive with a nice script (and a cron job). And I've repeatedly used those (zipped) images to restore my system after a failed update/upgrade.

• The question was to move from 8GB SD card to 32GB SD card. Not how to make a backup because there are different sets of solutions and possibilities.

[LibreELEC @ 2x RPi3, CoreELEC @ S12 Octa Core]

[ NAS OMV 5.xx (Usul) @ NanoPI M4 ]

[ Nextcloud 18.0.4 @ ODROID C2 ]

[ Motioneye @ RPi4]

• My experiences with Win32DiskImager were less than satisfactory. I prefer to generate a daily backup image on an attached USB drive with a nice script (and a cron job). And I've repeatedly used those (zipped) images to restore my system after a failed update/upgrade.

Hi, sorry for piggybacking on to this thread but I came looking for a way to do just this, clone my installation drive onto a USB drive before i do a wipe and clean install but was worried that I might need to recover. Anyway... I'm a complete noob who setup OMV using some guides many years ago. Could you share how I can do a clone of my OS drive onto a USB. I've read about clonezilla and also something about a backup plugin but both assumed I create a folder on one of my data drives.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Hi, sorry for piggybacking on to this thread but I came looking for a way to do just this, clone my installation drive onto a USB drive before i do a wipe and clean install but was worried that I might need to recover. Anyway... I'm a complete noob who setup OMV using some guides many years ago. Could you share how I can do a clone of my OS drive onto a USB. I've read about clonezilla and also something about a backup plugin but both assumed I create a folder on one of my data drives.

Any help would be appreciated!

My script also requires a folder on one of your data drives as a target for the backup/clone. And you will have to mount it as well. After that, a cronjob for a nightly backup is quite easy. My current script (as you can see, there are still some old changes visible).

• I guess I will be piggybacking here too.

I wonder if there is a way to create reliable sd card image without removing the sd card?

It can be stored either on another sd card/usb stick or in the cloud

• I guess I will be piggybacking here too.

I wonder if there is a way to create reliable sd card image without removing the sd card?

It can be stored either on another sd card/usb stick or in the cloud

I have been doing this for five years with a dd script that runs on cron nightly. I keep the seven most recent backups.

I will provide the script upon request but it will be up to requestors to adapt it to their needs, and it will require adaptations. Some familiarity of bash programming is required.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I have been doing this for five years with a dd script that runs on cron nightly. I keep the seven most recent backups.

I will provide the script upon request but it will be up to requestors to adapt it to their needs, and it will require adaptations. Some familiarity of bash programming is required.

Does not OMV have a dd plugin ?

I'd like to try out your script and full process including crontab. Thx

• Does not OMV have a dd plugin ?

I'd like to try out your script and full process including crontab. Thx

I don't think any OMV backup plugin does what I need.

Here is the script. I run it daily on cron @ 3:00am. It takes under eight minutes to backup the OMV 16GB SSD.

You will have to change it to identify your OMV system disk, identify your OMV major version number, and identify the drive and directory where to store the image file.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think any OMV backup plugin does what I need.

The openmediavault-backup plugin does a full disk dd now. So, it would do what your script is doing except it would compress (gzip) the dd file.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The openmediavault-backup plugin does a full disk dd now. So, it would do what your script is doing except it would compress (gzip) the dd file.

Does the openmediavault-backup plugin do a full disk dd of the OMV system disk, does this from a live running system, and can be run on cron with no user intervention?

I no longer use on the fly compression when making dd images. Too many times the image could not be decompressed. Never found out why it didn't work but I sure am glad I tested this before actually needing to restore one of those hosed images.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does the openmediavault-backup plugin do a full disk dd of the OMV system disk, does this from a live running system, and can be run on cron with no user intervention?

Yep (command). You do have to click the Scheduled Backup button to get the cron job though. It also allows you to keep X number of backups if you want to limit them.

I no longer use on the fly compression when making dd images. Too many times the image could not be decompressed. Never found out why it didn't work but I sure am glad I tested this before actually needing to restore one of those hosed images.

Interesting. I have been gzip'ing dd images for years without issues.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I was just planning on doing a video on this.

Am I correct in saying that you would install OMV on the new disk and then dd the image back with:

Code
    dd if = /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Media/backup/hdadisk.img of = /dev/hda
    • Offizieller Beitrag

would you be so kind and quickly recap the restore process?

There are few threads about restoring. Let me find one.

Am I correct in saying that you would install OMV on the new disk and then dd the image back with:

Ideally, you wouldn't have to install OMV and just write the image (assuming it isn't a compressed image).

• Offizieller Beitrag

So you could use a live distro and then write the image over to the new disk?

yep

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!