Newbie question on backing up boot device

• More questions

I moved my intel backup on the the other machine since I got bigger drive with NFS but my ultimate goal is to save them on a windows shared folder, I did not play with that yet, by the way would love to find a good tutorial for it.

Anyway in the mean time, now that I can make backup I need to shrink my other sdcard Like I did on my intel machine but for some reasons I got issues, not with gparted but with Win32 Disk Imager witch refuse for some reasons to Read only Allocated partitions.

So how can I achieve that with dd?

• Hello,

After searching the OMV forum and the internet, I found a tool for a noob like me, which allows you to make an SDcard clone, even with the option to expand or shrink, depending on the size of the card on which the image will be cloned.

I successfully tested a clone of my 16gb card with expansion to a 32gb card.

System backup (DD full) now provides 32gb files.

It can be useful to someone.

ApplePi-Baker V2.0 (https://www.tweaking4all.com/s…oftware/applepi-baker-v2/)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Agricola did you manage to get a restore working? How did you write the image to a new card? I've tried flashing the .ddfull.gz using etcher and usbimager and neither work when plugged back into the rpi?

Sorry for the delay. Busy week. No I didn’t. For the time I have just gone back to a cold backup about once a month using dd in Terminal. It requires about one hour down time to copy which is a pain but it works.

Here’s a link to the backup method I use: https://thepi.io/how-to-back-up-your-raspberry-pi/

I ran a little test a while back. Here is a small chart on copy and write times. It’s interesting that it takes half the time to copy a thumb drive as it does a SD card, but they both take the same time to write:

• Offizieller Beitrag

unzip file produced by the backup plugin

I didn’t think unzipping the file was necessary. I tried to burn the file in both etcher and usbimager. OMV booted both ways but with problems. I’ve had a lot of other things on the front burner so I didn’t try to troubleshoot it. I need to pick up a couple of fresh SD cards and start from scratch when I have the time to make notes. Like I said earlier, this is just a testing setup on an Odroid HC2. Nothing crucial here.

• I have Dell i5 running OMV with the OMV image on a hard drive, docker on another hard drive and docker appdata on a 3rd hard drive.

I have tried the backup plug but could not get it to restore, but for me would just syncing all of the hard drives using rsync/resilio etc work on spare hard drives?

For example, sync my openmediavault image (on 1 HDD), my docker image (on 2nd HDD) and my docker containers (on a 3rd HDD), if one of the HDD crash, I simply swap over the drive and I am immediately up and running as if nothing happened?

• For example, sync my openmediavault image (on 1 HDD).............. if one of the HDD crash, I simply swap over the drive and I am immediately up and running as if nothing happened?

No, this will not work. "Sync" methods copy files and folders only. They do not copy the boot track, so the drive used for the openmediavault image backup will not boot.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• No, this will not work. "Sync" methods copy files and folders only. They do not copy the boot track, so the drive used for the openmediavault image backup will not boot.

ok but i presume it will work on the docker HDD and the docker appdata HDD?

That is, I wont need to deploy all of my stacks etc again and set them up.

• Files and folders will be copied. But do verify that whatever tool you use preserves the ownership and permissions of the files and folders.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, but I responded to some of this on your other thread.

Here is a good example of where an externally connected USB drive in an amd64 machine is desirable for your OS drive:

1. Your boot drive just does not need the speed of SATA.
    2. You can quickly and easily shut down, remove, and backup your OS.
    3. Value: Two SanDisk Ultra Fit (or Flair) USB 3 will cost you about $15 US.
    4. With the Flashmemory plugin your OS will last a long time.
  • Sorry, but I responded to some of this on your other thread.

Here is a good example of where an externally connected USB drive in an amd64 machine is desirable for your OS drive:

1. Your boot drive just does not need the speed of SATA.
    2. You can quickly and easily shut down, remove, and backup your OS.
    3. Value: Two SanDisk Ultra Fit (or Flair) USB 3 will cost you about $15 US.
    4. With the Flashmemory plugin your OS will last a long time.

I know but I spent ages trying to have the Dell i5 to boot up from a SD card through the BIOS but it just would just keep booting up from the hard drive, so I installed OMV on the hard drive. I guess I need to spend the time and try to follow the guide in this thread to try and restore the backup.

• I am trying this but noticed on my RPI with OMV5 which has OMV Extras - I do not have the backup plugin to select/install?

Have checked for updates etc

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of the apt clean button in omv-extras?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What is the output of the apt clean button in omv-extras?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't see what the error is. Can you run sudo omv-aptclean from the command line and post the output?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Check the time on your system. I would enable ntp in the omv web interface.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And the time is correct? To have almost all of the certs not recognized is not something normal and caused a lot when the time is way off. Post the output of: dpkg -l | grep -E "certi|gpg"

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• And the time is correct? To have almost all of the certs not recognized is not something normal and caused a lot when the time is way off. Post the output of: dpkg -l | grep -E "certi"gpg"

yes the date/time is correct. posted that command and just get this/nothing:

Code
    pi@omvt:~ $ dpkg -l | grep -E "certi"gpg"
    >
    >

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!