SSH Access denied

• Hi Guys,

I am new to OMW. I have installed OMV to a newly build pc. Everything worked fine till now. I tried logging into the sytem using ssh. But my root password is getting denied. I am certain that the password is correct as i installed the system yesterday und wrote down the password. I have checked that the ssh as enabled in the web interface. I tried creating a new user into sudo und ssh group. Even this user gets denied. This time I am really certain that the password is correct.

I just get dont it. My passwords are correct and the ssh is enabled. Root login is also enabled.

Thanks in advance

• Is Password authentication enabled in the WebGUI?

What is the exact error message you get when the login fails?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Is the column "enabled" and "runing" highlighted in green in the OMV GUI in the Dashboard / Services window?

ssh_enabledfsji2.jpg

[LibreELEC @ 2x RPi3, CoreELEC @ S12 Octa Core]

[ NAS OMV 5.xx (Usul) @ NanoPI M4 ]

[ Nextcloud 18.0.4 @ ODROID C2 ]

[ Motioneye @ RPi4]

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just tried it on a Windows 10 system. Still the same result

Not sure about Ubuntu but on W10 the key is stored under File Explorer > View ensure that Hidden items is checked, then go to C:\Users\<your user name>\.ssh (the . defines a hidden folder) open that folder then open the file known_hosts that is where the keys are stored.

Your error can occur if a key is stored in that file from another machine that previously used that address, so basically you delete the previous key.

But check Aux suggestion first.

• post output of "service sshd status"

mine is:

• post output of "service sshd status"

mine is:

I hope it doesnt turn into a rookie question. But I have to log in first to get the service sshd status?

• I hope it doesnt turn into a rookie question. But I have to log in first to get the service sshd status?

Is your machine headless or do you have a keyboard and monitor attached or an SOL connection?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Well, you can get an idea if sshd is running or not by telnetting to its port from another machine.

telnet omv-ip-address 22

Code
    fred@telescope ~ $ telnet 192.168.1.51 22
    Trying 192.168.1.51...
    Connected to 192.168.1.51.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.9p1 Debian-10+deb10u2

--

• Well, you can get an idea if sshd is running or not by telnetting to its port from another machine.

telnet omv-ip-address 22

Code
    fred@telescope ~ $ telnet 192.168.1.51 22
    Trying 192.168.1.51...
    Connected to 192.168.1.51.
    Escape character is '^]'.

I tried telentting to its port. I get the same result as you.

• Not sure about Ubuntu but on W10 the key is stored under File Explorer > View ensure that Hidden items is checked, then go to C:\Users\<your user name>\.ssh (the . defines a hidden folder) open that folder then open the file known_hosts that is where the keys are stored.

Your error can occur if a key is stored in that file from another machine that previously used that address, so basically you delete the previous key.

But check Aux suggestion first.

Hi. There is only one key stored in that file and its from the address of omv.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi. There is only one key stored in that file and its from the address of omv.

OK you could delete the key, save the file which will then be empty, when you ssh into omv you'll be asked to save the key, answer yes and it will save the key, if that fails and all the other options are set and running it must be password related. Then create a new user and add them to the ssh group and try that user.

• You are going to need to have console access to get into this any deeper.

--

• OK you could delete the key, save the file which will then be empty, when you ssh into omv you'll be asked to save the key, answer yes and it will save the key, if that fails and all the other options are set and running it must be password related. Then create a new user and add them to the ssh group and try that user.

Hi. I already did both. I have created a new user and added it to the ssh group but I still cant log in. And this time I am pretty sure about the password.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!