Speedy its a no no

• Well in my project the use of it is not going to be 100% Nas concept.

It is going to be used only for 1 person. Not too much data is going to be written or read. Is not for 24/7 ( unless I am travelling) I travel quite often and I may need to access remotely to the HDD. So probably 10mb/s writing-reading is enough for occasional access. But I just want to keep learning and try thing lol.

I have been told that raspbian lite + samba may work better for my achievement. What do you thing?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is "it" in your question?

Does it really affect speed that much?

If you mean SMR then the answer is that it depends. SMR drives are intended for "bursts" of writes. Typically what you may see in light desktop use. Then SMR may work fine.

Also if you use the drive in a NAS for backups. Then you typically write sequentially and not randomly all over. Then SMR also may work fine.

In a NAS it is not uncommon to copy a lot of files and folders recursively between filesystems, or to zip and unzip several archives. Or update records in databases. Then the speed loss may be very noticeable.

Another problem with SMR is "write amplification". Even if you just update a few bytes in files, here and there, many megabytes may need to be read and then written again. Whole "shingles" need to be updated when just a single byte in the shingle has changed. A SMR drive that is not used correctly may wear out fast...

Typically SMR drives have portions of the drive as fast CMR, "Conventional Magnetic Recording", buffers. Data is first written to the fast buffers and later, in the background, written to the SMR areas.

• Ey, got another question. I have done everything and blacklisted the uas. Only problem is when I check it. Doesn't show. But as you can see I did everything to blacklist it. Do you know what I am doing wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry it was disconected. Here you are

And that pic should tell you why you are only getting 12MB/s. You are not connected at gigabit. So, you are transferring as fast as 100mbps will go. I doubt your drive is having any issues.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• And that pic should tell you why you are only getting 12MB/s. You are not connected at gigabit. So, you are transferring as fast as 100mbps will go. I doubt your drive is having any issues.

Excuse my ignorance but I am new with this. Where it says Speed 100Mb/s doesn't mean my transfer speed should be up to 100mb/s instead of 12mb/s?

What do I need to do in order to connect to the gigabit?

Regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where it says Speed 100Mb/s doesn't mean my transfer speed should be up to 100mb/s instead of 12mb/s?

Ethernet speed is megabits per second and your transfer speed is in MegaBytes per second. 100mbps is 12 MB/s.

What do I need to do in order to connect to the gigabit?

Fix your cable. Make sure your switch and/or router is gigabit. Hard to say since that is your network.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• And that pic should tell you why you are only getting 12MB/s. You are not connected at gigabit. So, you are transferring as fast as 100mbps will go. I doubt your drive is having any issues.

This is my Internet connection speed through WiFi. It says 150 Mbps. I assume that transfer speed should be up to 150mb/s? O 12mb/s is the top I will get? But if I transfer files between windows OS it goes up to 100mb/s. How is that even possible then?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is my Internet connection speed through WiFi. It says 150 Mbps. I assume that transfer speed should be up to 150mb/s? O 12mb/s is the top I will get? But if I transfer files between windows OS it goes up to 100mb/s. How is that even possible then?

It doesn't matter how fast your wifi is if the RPi is connected at 100mbps. You will never get more than 100mbps. That is the bottleneck.

I have no idea what router you have. Maybe it is gigabit. If you Windows systems are connected with cables to a gigabit router, they should get 100MB/s. If they are connected via wifi at 150mbps, you will never get more than about 18MB/s.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is not gigabit, right?

gigabit is 1000 mbps.

• gigabit is 1000 mbps.

Right I have to say massive thank to you. Now everything is crystal clear. And you saved me hours of research. Basically the bottleneck is in my network provider and even if I upgrade my contract with 1gigabit my router is not gigabit capable so I am getting at the moment the maximum I can get. Am I correct?

Well then, thanks for everything. If I would have knew this before I would have bought a cheaper raspberry for my project. But well, at least I learnt something new. Hopefully it will be useful for somebody in the future.

Regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Am I correct?

What router do you have? You can have a gigabut router with slower internet. Heck I have 10gigabit networking with 200mbps internet (fastest I can get).

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's not gigabit, isn't?

Nope.

And my provider is not offering the gigabit either, is it

You could get a faster router without faster internet. That would make access from your WIndows systems to your RPi4 much faster. It wouldn't help internet speed.

• Nope.

You could get a faster router without faster internet. That would make access from your WIndows systems to your RPi4 much faster. It wouldn't help internet speed.

Ok, the bottleneck is the router then. As an example, if I buy this one. With the current internet speed test you saw before the transfer speed between my windows machine and the raspi would improve up to around 100mb/s ish, right? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/n…7cBgrnxLPJ9IaAjuaEALw_wcB

• Offizieller Beitrag

As an example, if I buy this one. With the current internet speed test you saw before the transfer speed between my windows machine and the raspi would improve up to around 100mb/s ish, right?

That is a switch but you could plug it into your router and then the wired machines into the switch. Ideally, for large files you would get around 100MB/s if the storage and cpu on both sides is fast enough.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!