'man' Command not found

• I went to pull a manual today from the cli with no luck. Did some digging around and :

Code
    dave@yggdrasil:~$ man printf
    bash: man: command not found

so where is it?

Code
    dave@yggdrasil:~$ whereis man
    man: /usr/local/man /usr/share/man

OK, now $PATH:

Code
    dave@yggdrasil:~$ echo $PATH
    /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

So 'man' is obviously not located anywhere in $PATH...

My question is should I add it manually? Or did I configure something incorrectly and I need to look at that instead?

I have a feeling this has something to do with my home directory as I had to manually add in my home directory in /etc/passwd....

• Try this: In the OMV GUI user administration, set bash as the shell to use. It seems that some of the other shells are badly configured.

I thought this might do it and I'm glad you recommended it as I thought I was using bash to begin with it...

Sadly though it didn't work as 'man' is still outside of $PATH

• Assuming you're using bash.. I don't think it's installed by default on OMV 4 (I know it's not installed by default on 5)

apt-install man

This did the trick-

Thank You for the suggestion.

I'm still wondering why 'man' wasn't in the correct $PATH though or I guess just not installed? Doesn't it come with Debian by default?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This did the trick-

Thank You for the suggestion.

I'm still wondering why 'man' wasn't in the correct $PATH though or I guess just not installed? Doesn't it come with Debian by default?

It wasn't in $PATH because it was not installed. Did you check now after you installed it? I didn't realize it wasnt installed in 4... I realized it about 5, a few weeks ago when I went to use it for something.

• Yes i checked it-definitely there and works- I guess I was thrown because it was showing it was in a different path completely.

So the manual needs to be installed in OMV if you're a newb like me lol.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Igrofire () aus folgendem Grund: for fun

• Offizieller Beitrag

the manual needs to be installed in OMV period

If I remember correctly, it was removed to reduce the size of the OMV install ISO. Since OMV is designed to be used from the web interface, man isn't that important. If you can use the command line, you can install man. While I use and install man on my systems, I don't know that it should automatically be installed on every OMV system.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• While I use and install man on my systems, I don't know that it should automatically be installed on every OMV system.

Maybe I should've clarified...

OMV because it's powering my server is my primary learning environment for all things linux and I'm definitely a newb. I also wasn't criticizing if that's the way it came out; I'm here for a reason and I appreciate all the help and feedback.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ah, ok. Any time you don't find a command, you should check to see if the package is installed. dpkg -l | grep man would be a good start.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!