Portainer or not?

• While waiting for a new HDD to arrive to replace an old failing one, I'd like to have a discussion on what you prefer: using portainer or docker-compose?

I tried portainer a bit until I saw one of my disks was red in the SMART monitor tab and powered it off. I find it a bit cumbersome. I'm a pretty advanced linux user and I like KISS things. The old docker plugin was pretty good, even if lacking some features. But now I'm inclined to go the docker-compose route because portainer seems overly complicated for what I need.

So, what's your experience?

• I use docker-compose but I prefer the command line. You could actually use both by using compose files in the Stacks section of portainer.

omv 5.6.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Portainer has a nice features, you can put your docker-compose file to create a new stack, and edit them from there too.

I use it because i have a swarm node and it's easy to manage replications, images and volumes

• Correct: and the major one is being limited to Compose V2....
    but still very useful (I never reach a V3 compose file that could not be used in V2) but on some occasion this could be a limitation.

• Also, portainer sometimes does weird things if you create containers using the UI, or edit them there. I very much learned from scratch and went from OMV's original plugin to portainer, but I have to say now that I am a bit more comfortable using docker-compose is the way to go.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!