Can't boot with new Sata Card

• Hi All,

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place, didn't know where to put it (Mods please move if appropriate)

So I've been using OMV 5 for a few months now and everything works great. I had a few 1 tb drives lying around so I bought a 4 port sata expansion card and put it in my system but now I can't boot into OMV with the card installed. I figured it was a driver issue, but when I unplug the card, and the drives connected to the card, it boots. It just can't boot when all the drives are connected. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm specifically running this card on an old Dell Optiplex 390:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you!

Edit to be more specific: I'm getting a quick flash of a Marvell 88SE9 screen during boot up.

• I've a card like this it has a small switch to select mode - you may have missed it. The one I have was bought from AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…042311.0.0.e2594c4dWKVYGE

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• With a similar card I used to have it moved the network adaptor address so if you can access the CLI from a screen (GUI and CLI via SSH won't be accessable) - run omv-firstaid.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• Does the PC no longer boot at all? Or what happens? Do you see the grub menu?

If you add more devices then the boot order may change. In that case insert the new adapter card but remove all data drives, except the OS drive. Then reboot. You should see a command prompt. Then enter update-grub. Shutdown. Connect the data drives and reboot.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• With a similar card I used to have it moved the network adaptor address so if you can access the CLI from a screen (GUI and CLI via SSH won't be accessable) - run omv-firstaid.

I can't find anything when I run omv-firstaid when the all the drives are unplugged from the card, how do I do that? (Sorry I'm new at this)

Does the PC no longer boot at all? Or what happens? Do you see the grub menu?

If you add more devices then the boot order may change. In that case insert the new adapter card but remove all data drives, except the OS drive. Then reboot. You should see a command prompt. Then enter update-grub. Shutdown. Connect the data drives and reboot.

The PC will post but when I try to boot into OMV, I don't get to the grub menu. Even if my boot drive is the only drive connected through the card it doesn't boot. It just flashes the _ symbol in the upper left corner and doesn't do anything. I tried updating grub like you said but it doesn't make a difference.

Also I did some digging and it looks like the Marvell chipset that this card uses doesn't have a linux driver, but apparently some other people have made it work with linux so I'm very confused.

• Check your system's BIOS setup. You might need to enable a setting that allows booting from addon cards.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• My suggestion isn't relevant given your most recent post but for future reference if you boot OMV but have no networking then connect monitor and keyboard and run omv-firstaid from the command line. Then fix the networking using the menu item.

If the BIOS settings don't change the situation maybe to test that the card isn't faulty make a USB flash live Ubuntu drive, connect a non-critical HD to the new card, disconnect the other drives, boot into Ubuntu and see if is sees the card and drive.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!