After installation OMV server disappears from LAN

• I installed Armbian on SBC Odroid HC2 and then OMV 5 following "Installing OMV5 on Armbian Buster" guide. I transferred the system to the hard disk and everything worked perfectly. I did the tests to understand how to manage the environment and the services configurations.

So I decided to start again the installation from scratch to make the production environment using the same board. Here too it went smoothly, no errors during the installation.

However, at the end of the installation script, when I reboot to connect to the graphical interface the browser http://ip replied "Connection failed".

But before the reboot I checked with the command ip addr the address assigned by the router, and it was the same as in the first time. The server has disappeared from the network and even with ssh root@Ip it is no longer reachable (No route to host). Searching the router for connected devices or with fing command the machine with that MAC address did not change to a new ip address on the network. It is as if the OMV installation script had failed the network configuration.

I repeated the installation several times to find out if I had made any mistakes. I always got the same result. I can no longer use OMV on the same board on which I have already installed it the first time. Can anyone give me some advice on how to manage this problem? Thanks.

OMV 6.x - Odroid HC2

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ginsa ()

• Thanks. I had already thought of trying. But I do not know how I can do it. Can I already use omv-firstaid or do I need to edit the configuration files in the /etc/network directory?

• ginsa

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • On the first attempt to change the network settings with ovm-firstaid I waited several minutes, but the command never ended and the board could not be reachable.

I tried again by reinstalling on armbian with a fixed IP different from the previous one assigned by the router.

And it worked.

I noticed that ovm installation deletes all NetworkManager configuration files.

• You need to make sure you set up the /etc/network/interfaces for the network card to static before you install OVM5, or it loses the network card and never comes back. It took me a few goes at reflashing before I realised what was going on.

You also need to delete and replace the /etc/resolv.conf before and after you install, the first time for getting the installer, then when the installer removes NetworkManager, systemd-resolverd takes over, so you have to delete the symlink and recreate the /etc/resolv.conf file.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to make sure you set up the /etc/network/interfaces for the network card to static before you install OVM5, or it loses the network card and never comes back. It took me a few goes at reflashing before I realised what was going on.

No you don't.

You also need to delete and replace the /etc/resolv.conf before and after you install, the first time for getting the installer, then when the installer removes NetworkManager, systemd-resolverd takes over, so you have to delete the symlink and recreate the /etc/resolv.conf file.

I'm not sure why you don't like systemd-resolved but that is what OMV uses.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No you don't.

I'm not sure why you don't like systemd-resolved but that is what OMV uses.

It's not that I don't like it, it didn't work for me. I've realised it was my own fault! Tired eyes and not restarting the router after changing the DNS broadcast over DHCP can be a problem.

I'm still not sure why it booted okay on Armbian, but then lost the network after OMV installed and it was rebooted, but setting up static IP made it work for me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Armbian switched at least the xu4 image back to using predictive naming. So, that was breaking the script. I have updated the script to not change predictive device naming and just setup whatever it finds. I just tested on a fresh image on an HC2 and it worked well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• You need to make sure you set up the /etc/network/interfaces for the network card to static before you install OVM5, or it loses the network card and never comes back. It took me a few goes at reflashing before I realised what was going on.

I'm at the Nth (with a large N of your choice) flashing and installation on the same board as there is always something went wrong.

In this last time I started by setting a fixed IP with armbian-config before launching the omv installation script.

The result is that at the end of the script the system had switched to DHCP and the address had changed anyway.

I had also tried to modify the network configuration as you suggest, at the end I got a not reachable system or not working system.

There must be a very important reason why omv intervenes in so heavily way on the system network configuration (all the file of NetworkManager are erased), but if it didn't, it probably would be simpler (at least for me).:)

OMV 6.x - Odroid HC2

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ginsa ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm at the Nth (with a large N of your choice) flashing and installation on the same board as there is always something went wrong.

In this last time I started by setting a fixed IP with armbian-config before launching the omv installation script.

The result is that at the end of the script the system had switched to DHCP and the address had changed anyway.

I had also tried to modify the network configuration as you suggest, in the end I got a not reachable system or not working system.

There must be a very important reason why omv intervenes in so heavily way on the system network configuration (all the file of NetworkManager are erased), but if it didn't, it probably would be simpler (at least for me)

Reporting that something went wrong doesn't really help me fix anything unless I have details. I did fix a few things in the script today and installed twice today on an HC2 in the last few hours without issue. If people want the script to work (especially on boards without video output), they need to do as little as possible before running the script. I can't accommodate every possible thing someone might do before running it but I can testing a fresh armbian image.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Take a moment to configure your DHCP server (typically your router) to assign a static lease

for your NAS. This is based on the MAC address of the network interface card.

If you do this the network card in the NAS will always get the same IP, even after a reinstall, as long as it is configured to use DHCP.

• Take a moment to configure your DHCP server (typically your router) to assign a static lease

for your NAS. This is based on the MAC address of the network interface card.

If you do this the network card in the NAS will always get the same IP, even after a reinstall, as long as it is configured to use DHCP.

In my router there is a range assigned to DHCP addresses and the another for static IP. If I force a static address on armbian and the omv installation modifies the network configuration to DHCP, the address necessarily changes.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In many routers it is possible to set static leases. This means that whenever the NAS use DHCP to ask for a IP to use, it always gets the same IP. And this even if you reinstall. All you have to do is to set a static lease in the router and set the NAS/armbian to use DHCP.

I do this for several OMV NAS. And it works perfectly, even if I upgrade.

Another nice thing about this is that there is no danger of assigning the same IP to more than one computer. I never set a static IP on a server. Instead I set a static lease for every server in the router.

It is possible that the router also supports DNS-masquerading. Then you never have to write a IP again. Just use the host name directly.

My OMV server nas5 has the ip 192.168.1.105, but instead of using the ip I use the name "nas5.local". Works great.

• Thank you for the information, I'll check more accurately in the router. Normally I insert in /etc/hosts of the clients the new hostname/address, but the management by dsn-masquerading is certainly more flexible.

I think the static lease is the default rule in the router, because when the DHCP service assign an IP address to a new MAC address device in the LAN, after i have to "convince" it to change.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, I am pretty sure it is not the default. But DHCP leases are often kept for a while. A few hours or a few days. Most likely you can specify how long the lease will be remembered. Then, if unused, the lease is "recycled" and used for some other device. Some routers "forget" this type of temporary lease if rebooted.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!