Migration from HP Microserver Gen7 to Gen8 - SATA controller mode

• Hi, i need some help in migrating my OMV setup.

So far I have used a Gen7 Microserver, but outgrew the CPU power due to playing around with docker and running several containers, so I got myself an used Gen8 microserver, quickly swapped the drives and was hoping everything will run as before... WRONG!

My Gen7 setup is 1 SSD boot drive for OMV system & docker, 3 data drives and 1 drive for Snapraid

So there are several issues:

1) Gen8 needs some workaround in order to boot from the ODD SATA port, so i temporatily removed the Snapraid backup disk and placed the SSD on its place until i figure out a the SSD booting. (planning to use this approach https://www.admfactory.com/hp-…m-ssd-install-on-odd-bay/ but first i need to tinker with power connector)

2) Gen8 has a RAID controller and it seems I need to initialize the disks first in the controller before doing anything. From what I read here configuring each disk as a single RAID 0 volume should keep my data intact. with adding the disks one by one I should be on the safe side, adding the snapraid disk only as last when i see everything is working.

3) Another option seems to be to move the /boot folder of my OMV installation on the SSD to a microSD or USB device and boot from there, leaving the SATA controller in AHCI mode. Not really sure how to do that though, but i guess google is my friend.

I am slightly leaning to the option 3, but there may be problems with OMV rewriting the fstab with each configuration change (i guess i need to edit it to point to the correct boot and system drives?)

What is your experience/recommendation in these regards?

EDIT: Also, here's a post claiming that Ubuntu is able to pass trough the unconfigured SATA drives to the OS with only the SSD configured as RAID0, Can anyone confirm that this works for Debian/OMV as well?

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• I have a similar setup with a G8 Microserrver.

1. Forget about the RAID controller, it's a so called "fake-raid" controller

I'm using the SATA controller in AHCI mode, so it will always try to boot from the disc in the 1st bay.

I have my SSD connected to the 5th SATA port, and configured the server to boot from USB/SD-Card.

To get OMV up and running I did:

Unplug all data drives,

One time boot from install media (virtual DVD) and install OMV to SSD, this will also install grub onto the SSD,

One time boot from harddisc (this will boot from SSD) and do a "grub-install /dev/sdx" followed by "update-grub2" where /dev/sdx is your SD-card (fdisk -l will tell you)

Reboot and the box will boot from SD-card.

Shutdown, insert your data drives, poweron and configure as desired.

Cheers,

Thomas

• my drives are still in the old server. so if i understand you correctly, all i need to do is to run grub-install /dev/sdx && update-grub2 from my existing OMV installation to install the bootloader to an SD card?

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID